Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New iMac

Re: New iMac

Yes, DxO is sifnificantly slower than DPP (for JPG conversions; moving from image to image while

making adjustments is faster in DxO). I suppose extra processing time is the price for improved noise reduction, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

(for JPG conversions; moving from image to image while

making adjustments is faster in DxO)

John

Are you talking work flow in general with DxO, or the computer opens/closes and moves through images faster with it? Is it a computer thing where DxO just works better on the computer as a program in general.

Rick

I recently got the 27" i3 (3.2GHz) with the standard ram, video card and 1TB HD, right before apple released the new machines (1 month ago), and have been extremely happy with it. I use lightroom and it has no issues handling large RAW (25.4 MB) files. As for RAM, it

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Are you talking work flow in general with DxO, or the computer opens/closes and moves through images faster with it? Is it a computer thing where DxO just works better on the computer as a program in general.

This was my comment from my previous 'mini bake-off' between DPP and DxO (on my old MBP): "At the back end, there&rsquo;s a noticeable difference in the time it takes to convert the edited images from RAW to JPG - DxO is quite a bit slower.However, this is not a big deal to me since that&rsquo;s unattended time (I can let it run while I&rsquo;m busy during the day, or even overnight).The actual hands-on editing is faster with DxO (I think DPP applies more &lsquo;on-the-fly&rsquo; which slows it down, or it&rsquo;s just not coded as cleanly).I suspect the total time from start to JPG is similar, but with DxO less of that time is &lsquo;attended&rsquo;.<span>"

<span>Actually, DPP seems snappier for image editing now (might be a differential efect of the new MBP, might be the newer version of DPP), in terms of actually opening and moving through images, about on par with DxO now. From a workflow standpoint, I find that DPP is much better for image triage (in DxO, you need to add images to a project before you can rate them, which isn' really triage), but for image editing, the DxO workflow is better for me (e.g. all your tools are right there - cropping, clone/stamp, etc., vs. DPP's separate windows for each).

Thanks everyone for the input.

I have decided to wait until the SSD versions are out and shipping times for BTO are down from 4-6 weeks to 3-4 days. Also very inerested to see the reviews of the SSD when released. When I do order it will be the i7 -3.4GHz with 2GB vid, 2TB HD and 256MB SSD. I will upgrade the ram myself from 4MB to 16MB. Will buy Apeture online as suggested as cannot beat that price and also will wait to get Apple Care at a later date but will for sure get it.

Finally purchased my new iMac. Bought 27" i5 3.1GHZ 1TB vid and 1TB drive. I did add 8GB ram for a total of 12GB. Came with Leopard and installed Lion. Waited for the refresh then SSD drives and then Lion to make the final decision. SInce the main reason was to edit/process photos I could see no reason to have the extras as all over kill for what i need. I dislike large drivers as just too much data to loose. Could not justify the price for an SSD drive and for the same money I purchased the extra ram, Airport extreme router and Bose Companion 20 speakers. I will be buying an Thunderbolt drive either SSD or HD version when more come on the market at better prices.

I have been with MS systems when we were still using 5 1/4 drives and this is my first Mac. Wow is all I can say. So far very happy to have made the switch. All I can say is everything just works and at blazing speed. The display is one of the best I have used and have it set as Adobe RGB. I have also found from being a Windows user since it first release that switching to Mac is very easy to learn. To me it is just another GUI. What influenced me was having an iPhone and then an iPad that Apple stuff just works.

I have now finally installed most apps I need and files. I did find a few issues. MS office 2011 does have a major issue and that it does NOT sync your iPad/iPhone calendars. Hopefully it does get fixed soon. The latest version of Canon DPP works fine but the EOS utility does not. Version 3.8 does work but took some time to install. NOTE, you will need to delete from the HD any newer version for 3.8 to install.

I edit/process all my photos with DPP (all Raw from Canon 7D camera) but am looking for software to manage/organize all my photos. I have have been a total slob before buying my 7D with managing about 10,000+ photos and sure I must have several copies of the same pictures in the mess of folders I had created. What software would be best work to import all this mess and to clean it up and also can clean up all the duplicates? I would be importing them all from an external HD. Aperture, Lightroom and Elements 10 all may offer what I may need and just need expert opinions.

THANKS

Homer, glad to here you had a positive transition from PC to Mac. I too am strongly considering MAC Book, and stories like this make the decision that much easier.--Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homer
    What software would be best work to import all this mess and to clean it up and also can clean up all the duplicates? I would be importing them all from an external HD. Aperture, Lightroom and Elements 10 all may offer what I may need and just need expert opinions.

I am a big Lightroom fan and use it almost exclusively for organization, editing and output---I love it. I hear that Aperture is also great software, but I have no experience with it.

Good Luck

Bob

Agree 100% on the lightroom comment. It

Going to use this old thread.... now that imac's are getting the nice color boost...about the two size options on imac. Is the 21.5 usable on editing or is it just really to have the 27 version?