I was strolling in the Jardin de Plantes in Paris this afternoon, and when trying my 70-300, f4-5,6, I always got reflexes, even if the sun did not hit the front lens. When I finally looked at the front lens, this is what I saw. I have no idea how this happened, I am usually very careful with my equipment. Fortunately I had a protection glass mounted (since it has no other function than protection (no uv or pola etc.) I guess I cannot call it a filter). It must have gotten quite a blow, but the front lens was completely unharmed, and I could continue shooting.

Thanks to the protection glass, I saved a few hundred euros. Although, I must admit that deep inside, I hoped that the front lens was broken, so I had an excuse of buying a new one [:P].

Just to remind you why protection is crucial. If the lens itself was broken, and I had to buy a new one, I might have caught the L-disease [:|]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-39-80/Knust1.JPG[/img]