Thread: Before and After Faux HDR Tone Mapping.

Before and After Faux HDR Tone Mapping.

Playing around with the HDR Tone Mapping in Photoshop CS5 on some of my older air show pictures.
    Here is the before and after image. It's larger than allowed here and I didn't want to reduce it any further than it already is. to do so would only less the effect/impact of the images.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i39/Tim_Kerr/Misc%20Blog%20Images/BNA-trainer.jpg

Re: Before and After Faux HDR Tone Mapping.

[Y] Nice work

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Looks like you could get the similar results by using a small amount of the shadow/highlight tool, increase vibrance and add some contrast. Just my thought and it make little difference how you get there. Good capture. I like looking at aircraft photos.

Tkerr, Nice work----I commonly use HDR Efx Pro just to bring out highlights and adjust shadows--and yes, you could probably get there by other means, but I really like ease of HDR software for jobs like this. Very nice adjustments on the second shot---made a world of difference.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

Looks like you could get the similar results by using a small amount of the shadow/highlight tool, increase vibrance and add some contrast. Just my thought and it make little difference how you get there. Good capture. I like looking at aircraft photos.

You can get a similar result using Shadows and Highlights, But IMHO, the result aren't the same quality. I've used them both and quite honestly prefer the result from tone mapping. You have much more control with HDR Tone Mapping, and when applied right you come away with nice clean image throughout all tonal ranges..

Alan

Tim, would you mind posting some workflow on how you did your tone mapping in CS5? Thanks.

I used the tools that I mentioned and played with it a minute and here is what I came up with just for fun. Just of the note I used the before, darker image for processing.

Only thing I did different was use a little less satuartion which it might benefit from a slight boost.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3056.BNA_2D00_trainer.jpg[/img]

@Tkerr...I think the look is fantastic! I too use tone mapping in HDR Efex from Nik software for a lot of images. Yes, you could use the shadows/highlights adjustment, in CS5(which works well in some instances), but I like the look that tone mapping gives. the only drawback that I have seen is that your noise is increased exponentially!! The great thing about software from Nik, is their U-point technology. I can actually take a tone mapped image(or HDR for that matter), drop a control point on the image, and do negative adjustment on parts that I deem need less "mapping"....

I do like the look, and I think your example on the plane above is a prime example!! Keep up the good work!

Gregg