Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Rental Companies

Lens Rental Companies

Bryan has links to two lens rental companies in some of his reviews: LensRentals.com and LensProToGo. I may want to rent a 500mm f/4L IS lens for a trip late this summer. The prices for a 30-day insured rental are about the same (excluding shipping, which I'd have to enquire about). I'd be grateful for any comments or recommendations (positive or negative) about either or both companies.

The trip would be to Central/Eastern Oregon. (I live in western Oregon--Eugene.) It would include the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Steens Mountain, Crater Lake, and other sites where I would like to do some bird & wildlife photography. I have a 100-400mm L IS lens, which does pretty well on my 30D, but the extra reach and faster lens would be nice. I could use my 1.4x extender to get 700mm and still autofocus. (I also have the Extender 2x II, but the quality suffers, not to mention that it's SLOW and won't autofocus.) I would be traveling by car (or on a tour in a 4WD), but would probably have to do some short hiking. (I have several photo backpacks plus many pieces of the Think Tank modular belt system.)

The rental wouldn't be cheap ($780 or so for 30 days, insured), but that's a lot less than $5800 for the lens. I MIGHT be able to buy a used lens, then sell it after the trip, but 1) they're hard to find, 2) that's a big risk (I've bought a lot of used lenses, but not that expensive!) and 3) I probably wouldn't want to sell it! Several bird photographers I've read have said, in essence, that you'd have to pry their 500mm f/4L IS lens out of their cold, dead fingers.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Re: Lens Rental Companies

I saw a number of these for sale at Fred Miranda a few weeks ago. I was surprised, but in this economy, sad to say, I imagine there are people who are re-evaluating their position on that last statement. Never used a 500 but I'm thinking, if you rent one, you probably need to factor in the tripod and gimbel or other mounting needs you might have as part of the rental price. Good Luck

LensRentals.com - these guys are top of their game - Roger and his team are always there for me...

I remember asking Roger for the 100-400mm lens once and they didn't have it in stock...

Roger - owner of LensRentals.com sent me this email:
    <div>I was halfway through the "we can't fill this order"
    letter when I realized it was you. But since it is you, we'll get you a
    100-400 by the 5th. I may have to get one drop shipped to you from
    B&amp;H, but I'll let you know if that's the case.
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>Thanks, as always,</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>Roger</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>They go ABOVE AND BEYOND when it comes to customer service... TRUST ME!! you wont be disappointed!</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>hope this helps,</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>j.martinez
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div>
    </div>

George,

Durn, that would be very tough for me to do. To spend roughly 13% (almost $800) of the lense's value on one rental wouldn't work for me (unless I was doing it professionally and the cost was covered by my fee). I'm not a professional photographer and like you $5800 would be a tall hurdle to consider, but not insurmountable if I could afford the lense and was convinced that I would use it. You already have the 100-400L with teleconverter and I'd be happy with that configuration.

There's lots of things in life that people spend money on...lots of discretionary things is what I mean. I know people that have $10-$20,000 invested in their interests that are purely optional, but things that they like to do. So what's a $5800 lense if it will be important to you and your enjoyment of photography? I think sometimes (when you are sure about something that will be important to you), you just have to punt and go for it. Sounds like crazy talk in these horrible economic times, but each of us only has so much time here anyway and we don't get to take the lenses with us anyway.

I say don't rent and go for it if you can! [H] Maybe ask Helen over at Adorama if they have one on the horizon that is refurbished?

Rick

LensRentals.com were great for me, I would highly recommend them. For the amount of money you're talking about, it would be a big mistake to go without buying a 50D. The microadjustment, the reach of twice the megapixels, more advanced autofocus, live view, high-res LCD, and many other features will make you wonder how you ever managed with the 30D. I can understand someone hesitating about upgrading the 1D2 to 1D3, that's expensive. But the 50D is peanuts compared to the cost of the lenses we're talking about. Just think of it as buying a refridgerator full of improved film to last you the year. []

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burkett
    Never used a 500 but I'm thinking, if you rent one, you probably need to factor in the tripod and gimbel or other mount

I have a large Feisol CT-3372 tripod (no center column; max load 26 lbs, about like the Gitzo Series 2; the 30D + 500mm lens + 1.4x converter + flash bracket + flash + gimbal head would add up to about 15 lbs, which is pushing it, but should work), a Markins M10 ballhead (max load 90 lbs) and a Jobu Jr gimbal head. The Jobu Jr, if I add the "L" adapter to take it from sidemount to top mount, will handle the 500mm lens, though just barely. Jobu's Black Widow would be better, but is $470. I might end up getting the Black Widow and selling the Jobu Jr. (The Black Widow is cheaper ($470 vs $595) than the full Wimberley gimbal head and has some ergonomic advantages, as Tom Webster points out.)

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

I understand that there's a set of purposes for which this isn't really expensive, but it makes me feel really much better about my 400 f/5.6 []

I personally have used LensProToGo on several occasions and have been very pleased with their customer service. I had a problem with a 17-55 2.8 rental that failed on me half way through a shoot and was promptly given a credit towards a future rental. The prices at LensProToGo usually include shipping both ways. He provides a return shipping label for you and all you have to do is call to arrange a pick up at your home or drop it off to any shipping center--very easy.

If you live near Massachusetts (where they are located), the shipping time is very short.

Would you need the lens for a full 30 days? If not, you could rent it for only the amount of time you really need it for and it would be cheaper. $780 is pretty brutal in my book for a rental but that is hard to quantify if you get some incredible images I guess.

Lens Rentals .com, period. Check their stats - resellerratings.com normally lists them in their top 3 overall. Not in the category of lens rentals, not in the category of rentals, we're talking overall across every rated reseller. I tell everyone that dealing with LR is like dealing with friends - they're happy to help, happy to deal with you, and happy to communicate.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

+1 for lensrentals.com...

I took a chance and rented a here in case anybody's interested).<br itxtvisited="1" /><br itxtvisited="1" />Anyway service was great - I realized at one point days before it was meant to ship that I had ordered the 5D, not the 5D Mark II - one call and it was sorted out.<br itxtvisited="1" /><br itxtvisited="1" />I got emails telling me it was on it's way (it arrived early), an email when my wife had signed for it at our house and a reminder email when to send it back. Even though I only rented it for a week they let me keep it 10 days (it arrived on a Friday and they didn't ask for it back until the Monday 10 days later rather than the subsequent Friday, very fortunate for me as I had a second weekend to get some great shots with it!)<br itxtvisited="1" /><br itxtvisited="1" />Finally I sent it back as it came (which was easy as they used large pieces of foam to pack it around the padded camera bags it came in) and after FedEx had come and gone realized that I had left my trusty 1.4x Extender on the lens! I emailed them in a panic just now (9pm my time) and heard back in FOUR MINUTES from Roger that he would leave a note for their intake team to look out for it and not to worry about it as they are really tight about tying everything to serial number so it won't get mixed in with their stuff. Phew!<br itxtvisited="1" /><br itxtvisited="1" />- Adam Hems