Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast, Lethal and Precise - The Spear Fisherman has it all (2nd image added)

Fast, Lethal and Precise - The Spear Fisherman has it all (2nd image added)

I've been after this kind of shot for a long time - the moment the heron pulls his catch out of the water.

40D, 400 f/5.6L, Aperture Priority, f/5.6, 1/2000 sec, ISO 200

Please let me know what you like, dislike and what I can improve, thank you. [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.33/GBH-and-Trout-copy.jpg[/img]

Re: Fast, Lethal and Precise - The Spear Fisherman has it all

Very nice shot!

I guess only thing might have been better is having it shot at ISO100, as 1/2000 makes the photo a touch under exposed? But thats being picky...

Not a fish expert, but looks like a Salmon to me? I guess he disposed of him in one big gulp, hehe.

Again nice work, you got the timing spot on. How far off were the shots before and after this frame? Must have happened very quickly!

Very nice picture. I really like the action. There is no blurr in the picture and the the complete action is in focus. Very good timing. The other thing I like is that you look like you are at level with the bird. and the water. Any post processing (just curious)? The picture looks really natural.

As usual, a great shot Sinh. Time and time again you demostrate what patience you have for getting these shots. Nice to have the frame rate of the 40D for shots like these!Are youjust using center point focusing for all your shooting?

Whatlevels of sharpening are you applying? You always seem to have just the right amount.

Perfect!

Do you hand hold this lens? I knowthis lens isfairly small and light for its focal length, butwith out ISyour composition is still always tremendous...I understand that wouldn't freeze the action, I'm just saying that if you arehand holding this lensat that focal length, you must have some pretty steady hands to consistently frame the action as well as you do.Do you crop these picturesmuch?

Regardless, this shot is stunning. I think my favorite of yours so far, and that's saying a lot.

Uber fantastic!

Very nice!

When you took this shot, was the lighting conditions changing?

Also, I would like to know what your a/f setting was set at ? Spot?

Terrific Picture.

Ican appreciatethe time and patience behind this shot.

It looks more like a rainbow trout.

Thank you everyone for taking your time viewing and commenting on this picture.
    1. Mathew, it did happen very quickly, I was able to fire two shots. I have more shots of him posing and trying to down this rainbowtrout. Talking about luck, two shots were in perfect focus.
    2. Ulider, I sat on the ground and bent upper body almost to the ground. I should have laid down, but there was a lot of coot doo doo.It was an overcast day, I increased the contrastabout 10 points in CS2[]
    3. BillM, I was using AI Servo and center point. Sharpening was done in 3 steps in CS@viaUSM - two [amount 150, radius 0.2] and one [amount 100, radius 0.2) threshold was set to0
    4. Jhga22, I handhold the 400 f/5.6 100% of the time. IMO I really think putting this lens on the tripod defeats the purpose of owning such a small lens. I know the400 f/5.6L isn't a sexy lens, it doesn't have IS and it's slow (f/5.6) but it's focusspeed is veryfast and it is sharp wide opened.I always try to keep my shutter speed at at least 1/1000 to free the action and avoid camera shake and I never hesitate to boost my ISO speed. Framing was difficult without IS when I first got this lens, but I'm improving as time goes on. The 400 f/5.6L isn't attractive when you look at it, but after you own it you'll be glad you went with it. The image is about 60% of the original, I was hoping he would spread his wings[]
    5. Tom Carman, the lighting was constant and I used Evaluative Metering

Here is the first of the two shots, same camera setting and post processing

Again, I want to thank everyone for viewing and commenting on this image.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.33/GBH-and-Trout-1.JPG[/img]