Thread: Red Ring split

Alan

Red Ring split

The precious red ring around my 24-105 L has split. I don't know how it happened. Typically, I treat my equipment very carefully.

The red ring will slip off easily now. I'm sure Canon would replace it, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the shipping or whatever cost it might entail.

I guess I'll have to "tell" people I'm using an L lens, instead of letting the lens speak for itself. Drat! [:'(]

Re: Red Ring split

Unless you

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Unless you're trying to sell the lens, the ring doesn't matter. The images you take with the lens should speak for themselves... ;-)

Agreed!

"Unexpected this is...and unfortunate."

Star Wars references aside, bummer! Until your post, I didn't even realize the red ring was a separate plastic piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I guess I'll have to "tell" people I'm using an L lens, instead of letting the lens speak for itself.

Perhaps the inexpensive EF-to-L lens conversion kit is what you need?

Alan

Funny, John. But, don't quit your day job and take up comedy just yet.....

But, your droll suggestion isn't half bad. I'll just get a thinner version of the red rubber band. Up close, no one could tell the difference.

Could you just put a tiny bead of superglue or araldite around the ring and glue it back in place?

I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Alan

The ring is actually loose around the lens, as part of the original design. It's not glued.

I could try to squeeze the ring together, then touch the top of the split with super glue. I'd have to be very careful, or I would get glue on the lens casing.

Or, I could just leave it alone (preferable) or take John's suggestion and get a red rubber band.

Give Canon a call, they will probably send you a replacement. they do not want those "L" lenses going around without a proper red ring.

Give Canon a call, they will probably send you a replacement. they do not want those "L" lenses going around without a proper red ring.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa

I wish this could be done, but that little bugger fits tightly into a groove on the lens, and I don't see any way to slip it on.

Hey, maybe I could spray a thin, red line of paint on the lens?

Nah..... []