Thread: Best technique for lightning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best technique for lightning?

I saw a forecast a few weeks ago for a thunderstorm with lightning coming up, , but unfortunately, i've only got my 7D and 15-85 with me, the nifty-fifty and tc80n3 are in the wrong hemisphere for a few more weeks, so couldn't try anything. But it got me thinking, what's the best way to take nice photos of lightning? (presumably at night, the only other lights would be streetlights in the distance)

I'm thinking shots like http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifordetail/4190253444/ (the position he describes is eexactly the place i was going to go, too) and http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...fa2c5219_z.jpg (but better quality)

Basically, my ideas fall into a few basic questions:

low or medium (800ish) ISO?

wide open, or f8-11ish?

ND filters to make longer exposures on wide open?

1/5second (probably only for handheld 15mm IS), 1-2 second, or 10-30 second exposures?

My thinking is thus:

If i set the tc80n3 to take a perfect (0ev) shot of the night lights with a long/narrow/nd exposure, then if i _do_ get lightning, it will only be 1/10th of a second from a ~10ish second exposure, and maybe the lightning won't even show up?

Maybe set it so that a photo with exactly no lightning would
    be underexposed by 1-2-3? ev stops? in that way when i do get a flash,
    it might bring the whole average of the photo up to 0ev?

If i set it for about a ~1 second exposure, or even 1/5 (if possible), then maybe the lightning will just blow out everything?

Or another idea is to use a really long bulb, as soon as i see a lightning flash i stop the exposure and start a new one, to avoid blowouts if i get another streak in the same spot on the photo.

obviously i'd be using my strongest tripod, tc80n3 (whether as bulb timer or just in remote release mode), i have no qualms about filling my 16gb cf card up with raw shots to keep maybe 5 of them (or even swapping cards to delete all the non-lightning shots whilst i fill my 2nd card), and high-speed continuous is my friend (if i'm not using a bulb, obviously), and as i have no sealed wide-angle lenses, then an umbrella or station-wagon boot is a no-brainer.

i know there's always the 'trial and error' scenario, but lightning only comes past a few times a year in my part(s) of the world, and i'd rather cheat and ask for advice from someone who knows what they're talking about than lose a good opportunity...

So who here's got a good bit of advice?

and i think i've just greatly increased my respect of film photographers who managed to get good lightning shots on film...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Re: Best technique for lightning?

From the shot you linked, the EXIF shows:

<tbody>
    <tr class="lookatme"]
    <th>Exposure</th>
    <td>26.3 s</td>
    </tr>
    <tr class="lookatme"]
    <th>Aperture</th>
    <td>f/11.0</td>
    </tr>
    <tr class="lookatme"]
    <th>Focal Length</th>
    <td>12 mm (18mm FF-equivalent)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>ISO Speed</th>
    <td>500</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>Exposure Bias</th>
    <td>0 EV</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>

So, that might give you an idea of a starting place. Personally, I have shot lightening with shorter exposures - usually 8 seconds at f/8 or f11, and I usually use ISO 400. Obviously, you need to be in M mode for this. A wider focal length helps, since you don't know where it's going to show up in the frame.

Hi, I

So, pretty much just like fireworks?

I took these one night from my back porch. What I realized is that the exposure and timing is the easy part, but if you really want a great lighting shot, its all about the foreground and trying to capture from cloud to ground, so keep that in mind when you are seeking a place to shoot from:

These shots were taking at F11, ISO 100, 30 sec exposure, focus set at infinity, tripod and timer----Just point the camera in the direction or just ahead of the lightning, then start shooting 30 second exposures----If your not driving, have a couple of[B][B] and enjoy the show.

One these shots I was happy with the exposure, but not so happy with the foreground---, again, it's from my backporch.

Good Luck and enjoy the storm, this really is a lot of fun

Bob

Has anyone tried one of these:

http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

I have read a few articles that have referenced the lightning trigger (in a positive manner). It sounds like an easy way to get the capture if you can not get the timing down. As for costs, Outdoor Photographer said costs$329 (a bit steep).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Shooting lightning is one of my favorite things to do, but its also one of the hardest scenarios I have come across. My biggest problem is the fact that the only tripod I own cost me $15 from Target, I'm working on quite the dainty budget.

But here's a shot I got just last night, some thunderstorms blew just north of my house, I had to drive a little bit to avoid major light pollution. My lovely toothpick tripod let me down by being shook just a tad by the wind, but you can see how obvious the softness of the image is.

If I recall correctly, the EXIF is as follows:

Canon T1i, Canon EF 24mm, f/2.8,

24mm

f/2.8

20s

ISO 100

Auto white balance.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/8877.IMG_5F00_1185.jpg[/img]

Thanks for viewing,

- Chris

comalleyphotography.com