Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 22: Edit this! - Congratulations William!

Assignment 22: Edit this! - Congratulations William!

Welcome to assignment 22! Assignment 21: Unique Perspective, was won by Freelanceshots and this assignment is what he created!

Assignment 22 is all about editing. Freelanceshots selected one of his images to be manipulated by you! Download the image, make it appear nicer, change it, add to it, use filters, HDR and anything else you want to add or change. In his words: "Do your best to improve this image, anything goes. Best one wins!"

The photo to be edited is:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-34-48/assignment22.JPG[/img]

This image is of a dam over the Arkansas River named Murry Lock and Dam where it was later updated to become a pedestrian and bicycle bridge. Its a pretty big crossing where thousands of people use it each day for exercise.

Update!

Bryan (Freelanceshots) has selected his favorites for the assignment so it's now time to vote and declare a winner.

The finalists are:

Nvitalephotography

Motivation: The influence in the water.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/8623.assignment22darkerleveledsat.jpg[/img]

Gian Luca

Motivation: The influence in general presentation

ddt0725

Motivation: The influence in toning and the additional framing. (the idea)

William

Motivation: The influence in the black and white approach with contrast I would assume.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6866.assignment22-William-BW.jpg[/img]

Nickds7

Motivation: Overall clean image. Big improvement to the original RAW file.

Congratulations to you all and also on behalf of Bryan (Freelanceshots) we'd like to thank everybody that competed or joined this assignment. Great work![Y]

The poll will be open for 3 days. Good luck!

Re: NEW! - Assignment 22: Edit this!

I thought a landscape image would be best for this assignment as they are pretty popular with most of the members here. This image has a pretty wide dynamic range which should allow room for improvement and tweaking. Stretch it, crop it, perspective correct, turn down the highlights, bring up the shadows, play with saturation or try some HDR if that

This is my first go, I'm working on another one, but I spotted something in the trees on the ridge and just cropped it a bit.

It's amazing what you can come up with in PS5.[]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6428.Koala.jpg[/img]

Exif data not available. heh heh.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Heavy duty editing certainly is not my strength, but here goes nothing!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3276.assignment22-_2D00_-Version-5.jpg[/img]

I'll have a go at it.
    First I opened it in ACR and tried to recover as much of the blown out highlights(water reflections) as much as possible. Then opened it into CS5 and created three layer copies with layer masks to isolate the water, the bridge and hillside, and then the sky. Didn't need to do much to the sky, tried to reduce the glare on the water some more, and then brought out more detail in the bridge and hillside. Next a merged the layers back together and straightened out the horizon. Then I decided to give it a little shallower DOF using a gaussian blur gradient mask.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6431.assignment22_2D00_Edit_2D00_1.jpg[/img]

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

So Im also a beginner at editing pictures. Good assignment though. Tried a few things that were new to me. I may have another go at this picture but until then, here is mine.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/8623.assignment22darkerleveledsat.jpg[/img]

Yes water burr, a nice touch nvitalephotography.

Mine wont count but I wanted to try my hand at it as well.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3124.download-1.jpg[/img]

Oeh I'm loving it already! Quite some different ways of post processing already. I just loaded the RAW file myself. Time to practice PS5 and see if I can do some fancy moves [8-|]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

This is my first go, I'm working on another one, but I spotted something in the trees on the ridge and just cropped it a bit.

It's amazing what you can come up with in PS5.[img]/image_presentation1/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    Exif data not available. heh heh.

Hehe []

What a cool and unique idea. I like this one a lot.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x393/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/4035.assignment22.jpg[/img]

I am really enjoying the revamped photographs so far. This my have been an ok photo to start with but on the other hand it may have been a weak choice. I don