Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 22: Edit this! - Congratulations William!

Re: NEW! - Assignment 22: Edit this!

I try as well to post mine, although it is difficult to edit a photo without knowing the real situation

[img][View:http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5235/5827992246_b2322e731d_o.jpg][/img]

Great assignment idea indeed! And very cool versions from all the participants so far. Here is my attempt, will try something different too but I thought this very surreal almost video game like look might be pretty cool:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/8233.assignment22_5F00_HDR_2D00_qwRad.jpg[/img]

Straightened the original RAW-file in ACR and played around a bit with various settings, then I used a selective color adjustment with a mask to color to water and after that went a bit overboard with the HDR Toning

Can we know what camera/lens the picture was made with?

DxO can
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Great submissions so far!

I think what I'd most want changed about the original image would have been to try the shot on a brightly moonlit night. Here's my attempt to post-process it to something that shot might have looked like:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Assignment22.jpg[/img]

I first opened the RAW file in DxO (patham, for me it went straight to the 40D + Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM). There, I straightened and cropped slightly, recovered highlights then dropped the exposure by 2.67 stops, set the color temperature to 3000K with +40 tint, and applied a bit of HDR (along with DxO's automatic corrections for vignetting, distortion, sharpness, CA and noise). I exported as a TIFF and opened it in Photoshop. There, I selectively adjusted the hue-saturation-lightness (HSL) of the sky, cleaned up a few hotspot reflections, and removed the contrails and the bird. Finally, I selectively adjusted the HSL of the lights to 'turn them on' for the simulated night shot, reduced the image size and sharpened slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by patham

Can we know what camera/lens the picture was made with?

DxO can't decide between two Sigma 10-20 lenses (the f3.5 one or the f4-5.6 one).

When I enabled Lens Correction in ACR it automatically picked the f-4-5.6

Alan

I love this thread. Everyone has a different view, and approach, to the image. I think Brian King's is close to my favorite.

And, we've all heard about "getting it right in the camera." I think that the original image was right "out of the camera," and proves that the statement "getting it right, out of the camera" leaves a lot to be desired. I'm inclined to believe that there is no such thing as "getting it right, out of the camera." Not yet, anyway.

Editing it made it look WAY better.

Great job, everyone. [Y]

Ok, thought I'd try something alittle different. This is the one I'd like to be judged on ...unless I come up with something else of course! [:P]

Lens used was the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and a 40D.

ddt0275,

I was waiting for someone to use some tinting or a warming filter. nice touch with the addition of the frame.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3821.assignment-22-William.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6866.assignment22-William-BW.jpg[/img]