Thread: Need help with Bird ID

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need help with Bird ID

This guy frequents my yard, usually in the am or early afternoon. He seems to be a bug eater since he spends a lot of time hovering over the grass. He also likes flying through the sprinklers. I have not been able to distinguish any particular song. He is dusty brown on the back, light yellow on the lower breast with a long black fan type tail. I have noticed no distinguishing marks on the wings other than they are very dark or even black. His head is dark brownish-gray with a slight tuft. I have looked in several bird books and on "Whatbird" on the internet, but can't seem to find anything that really looks like him. Oh, I live in Central New Mexico. I finally got some shots of him yesterday so I am hoping that some of you might be able to identify him/her---their is a pair frequenting my yard and the only difference in them is the yellow breast seem to be more pronounced on one of them---probably the male.

Sorry the shots aren't "magazine quality" but hopefully good enough for someone to identify.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/7103._5F00_MG_5F00_9950.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/5277._5F00_MG_5F00_9952.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/4162._5F00_MG_5F00_9953.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/0724._5F00_MG_5F00_9971.jpg[/img]
    Bob

Re: Need help with Bird ID

Nice shots, Bob. I

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I agree that it is a Say

Nick, John, Thanks a bunch, Now that I look at it and read about it
    Bob