Thread: Any Linux/GIMP/UFRAW users out there?

Any Linux/GIMP/UFRAW users out there?

So i'm a Gentoo Linux user, I use Digikam for getting photos from my camera, Gwenview for viewing the JPGs, and the UFRAW plugin for the GIMP for converting RAW shots.

Only problem is, whenever i convert a RAW, it looks nothing like the JPG that comes out of the camera (7D, set to standard picture style 3,0,0,0) . See the pic attached for an example, a screenshot of the UFRAW plugin in the foreground, all on default settings and 'camera WB', and the actual camera.jpg in the background.

I haven't got a shot of after i've played with the settings, but no matter how much i play with the white balance, contrast, saturation, i can never make it look as good as the camera jpg.

Anyone have any hints (or just a complete noob's guide, which i clearly am) for using UFRAW? i've done the requisite googling, but i can't find a nice easy how-to...

I do intend to try the instructions here for installing canon's DPP when i get back to Aus and can borrow my mum's winblows laptop to install it and copy the files over (also, there's a version of photoshop there i want to try in wine). But for now i'm stuck with ufraw, and it would be cool if i could figure out how to use it properly...

Also, i've read things about using 'input colour profiles' copied from DPP, but again, can't do that until i get dpp working...

ps, if anyone wants the RAW file to help me out, more than welcome if i can upload it somewhere...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/7711.rawpheasant.jpg[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Re: Any Linux/GIMP/UFRAW users out there?

Hi. Fellow Linux user here (though I do most of my image processing in Lightroom on Windows). I suggest uploading the raw file to yousendit.com (free, but annoying) using any e-mail address, then post the URL here.

A lot of times, things like this are due to proprietary stuff Canon does, such as "Auto Lighting Optimizer" (ALO). If you had ALO enabled for that shot, it would explain why you have trouble getting the same results from UFRAW.

Re: Any Linux/GIMP/UFRAW users out there?

RAW converters other than DPP will ignore the Picture Style setting (which is applied to the in-camera JPG conversion, and also available in DPP). Other settings that are ignored by RAW converters other than DPP areALO (as Daniel mentions), and peripheral illumination correction. The Neutral picture style would be a closer approximation to what you'd get out of RAW converters other than DPP without tweaking.

Here's an example from my previous comparison of DPP (left panel) vs. DxO (right panel) - DxO ignores the picture style, and you can see the difference that the Canon's Standard style makes on warmth and saturation.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/DPPvsDxO_2D00_Colors.jpg[/img]