Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to anyone?

Has this ever happened to anyone?

<span><span>I just uploaded some
    pictures to flickr from a recent shoot with a friend. I was really
    excited because they turned out really nice, but when I opened them in flickr
    they looked different than the pictures I had uploaded.<span> Here is a screen shot of the jpeg on my
    computer compared to what it looks like on flickr.<span> Has this ever happened to anyone before?<span> Or did I make a simple mistake during the
    upload?<span> Your thoughts would be very much
    appreciated.

<span>[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-49-78/Screen-shot.jpg[/img]

Re: Has this ever happened to anyone?

Are you sure that the color profiles are the same? Most times sRGB is used. If you edited in another colorprofile, it might very well have been that Flickr changed this. That's my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    Most times sRAW is used. If you edited in another colorprofile, it might very well have been that Flickr changed this.

I believe you mean, "sRGB."If it isn't a colorspace conversion issue (Adobe RGB to sRGB), then I believeyour web browsermay bethe culprit--most aren't color managed and therefore images will look different when seen through them.

Is that right, everyone?

Sharp Sean, thanks []

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Ps: I typed adobeRAW after I typed sRAW and it seemed strange to me, but I didn't knew why [A]

Thanks for the input, how do I see what color profile was used? Also, I just uploaded the same picture to facebook and the colors are the same as the one on my computer. Only the flickr photo is different.

I save my photos the same way every time and this is the first time that this has happened.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I had this happen when uploading a picture to this website for the assignment a few days ago. All the colors looked duller on the uploaded pic.

What software are you using to edit your images?

How are you saving your images?

What Web Browser are you using?

Odd! All my pics uploaded to Flickr match the originals.

Browser matters, too. Previously color space and ICC profile didn't matter much for web display since most browsers ignored the tags and just used sRGB as the color space. However, some current browsers (e.g. Apple's Safari 5) respect the embedded ICC profile and adjust the color to match your display, the idea being to represent the 'true' color (which really only works if you're also using a calibrated monitor). ClickHEREfor an example of the effect of embedding a profile (if the image on the left changes as you mouse-over it, you havelearned that your browser ignores the profile;clicking changes the gamma to match Apple's default 1.8 vs. Windows default 2.2).

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    how do I see what color profile was used?

On the photo in Flickr, click Actions &gt; View EXIF info - that will show the color space. How you check the original file depends on your OS and software (Mac OS X displays that info in Finder &gt; Get Info).

This is very interesting indeed.

My panel was originally set to DELL profile, whereas Adobe Lightroom 3.4 was set to use AdobeRGB. However I now notice that the images posted to flikr are as per the OP's query whereby the images have a different output when comparing the two (flikr vs local).

I now have set up my panel and Adobe Lightroom to use the following profile:

sRGB - CalibratedDisplayProfile-1.icc

Try matching your display and whatever your photo editing application you use to the same profile - i.e. sRGB.

Edit:

<s>Now my posted image to flikr matches exactly to the output as displayed on the panel but the colorspace is still displaying *uncalibrated*.</s>

<s>I went as far as using sRGB for both the panel and Lightroom with the same output provided by Flike Exif Data for colorspace as *uncalibrated*.</s>

<s>I'm wondering if Internet Exploder 9 is ignoring the profile?!?!</s>

<s>Flikr may be handling/translating the EXIF data differently when exporting from Lightroom</s>.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I finally got it to work. This time instead of uploading the pictures directly from flickr, I used lightroom 3 to upload them to my photostream and it worked just fine.

I