Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This type of image shows why I love Photography

This type of image shows why I love Photography

This type of image shows why I love Photography
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Love+among+ruins+Richard+discusses+Vancouver+Riot+ Kiss+photo+updated/4959172/story.html<o></o>

I have no idea what&rsquo;s really going on but the fact that the image can generate so much discussion is brilliant. I feel this shot will go down as one of those iconic images that we will all remember.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Re: This type of image shows why I love Photography

Remember the Kent State Photo?

HI Raid,

Quote Originally Posted by Raid
    I have no idea what&rsquo;s really going on but the fact that the image can generate so much discussion is brilliant. I feel this shot will go down as one of those iconic images that we will all remember.

First of all let me say: Yes, great photo. The story I heard on the radio this morning was that the girl was amidst the chaos when she was accidently bowled over by one the police....her boyfriend came to see if she was okay and they briefly kissed. Mr Lam did a great job in capturing a compelling moment.

Second: As a former resident of Vancouver, and still live within a few hours....I am embarrassed! I was disappointed at the Canuck's loss too but holy crap, rioting?

The riots were a despicable display of a "few" punks who thought the loss an excuse to stir shite up. A good friend of mine is an officer in the VPD and was one of the riot police and to use their words "it was absolutely crazy....just mad". Gladly there were also a lot of citizens trying to stop the looting and destruction - sadly ending up beaten down by the crowd.

I also heard one kid showed up for work the next day only to be fired.....his boss recognized him as one of the shit-disturbers caught on camera....

Any way, sorry to hijack the post.....I'm just so disgusted with the behavior of some of my fellow BC-ers.

Damian

ps. sorry for the swearing []

Yes I agree despicable behaviour.

But you can trust an Aussie to grab a pash when and where ever he can. Truely despicable.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Good One Stevo LOL
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

"But you can trust an Aussie to grab a pash when and where ever he can. Truely despicble."

Oh Steve I didn

Not at all Damian, I agree with you about the crowd behaviour.

"Pash" is just a typical abreviation that we think everyone automatically understands. Pash, short for passionate kiss.

I have seen the interviews this thoughtful bloke was just trying to console his girlfriend, a "pash" was just part of the process. Desssspicable.

I gotta stop saying that, I spit on the monitor too much.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Ha ha ha. I like that: "pash". I

Cameras are everywhere and we get to see a huge number of images. So why is it that the Pro's always take the best shots?

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/201...merica/490664/

I'm sorry I can't find a direct link to the image, if anybody else can can you please post it?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Not making any comment about this woman, the cause or her right to freedom of speech because this really isn't the forum for it. In other protests there have been other outcomes and many, if not the majority have been peaceful.

However:
    The picture creates a false impression.
    That is why it isn't "Iconic" as some are trying to paint it.
    Other articles are putting it in the same class as the Kent State Photo or the Tenement Square Photo. Those photos are much more accurate portrayals of what happened.
    The real photo that would tell the story is the one that would have shown what happens 2 seconds later. Maybe that one is less interesting because it appears to have a peaceful outcome.

What happened to this woman, the photographer says:

"It wasn’t very violent. She didn’t say anything. She didn’t resist, and the police didn’t drag her off.

In a news story and photograph outcome matters, and it should tell the story accurately.

To Answer your question, the Pro was paid to be in that location that is why he was able to get the shot.