Thread: A tele lens for canon

A tele lens for canon

Hello everybody,

I have sometimes a need in my photography for the followings:

- Taking picture of people in the streets, but not faces exactly and without disturbing people

- Preserving the bokeh and blurry background

- then Shooting at not so close objects

So, I have been thinking that I like to get a new lens with higher focal length. Then I thought of getting a tele lens and have been reading about different models.

By now, what I have in mind is a "canon70-300" lens (or tamron, sigma..., don't know exactly if they are much worse).

but I don't know yet if that is the best choice. Maybe I have to spend a little more to get a "70-200 f/4" or even another model that I am not aware of (maybe buying a 24-70 or 24-105 is also an option).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cheers,

Keivan Zavari

P.S: I have a canon 450-D and normally I shoot with a 17-85 or 50mm f1.8... (so still amateur)

Re: A tele lens for canon

Personally, I think the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L is the best lens for the money. In fact, Canon sells that particular lens refurbished on its direct sales website and it's in stock now. I'd highly suggest checking it out--you could save yourself about $100.

I'm with Sean on this - the 70-200mm f/4L would give you the best bang for the buck in that price range. Great IQ, excellent build quality, non-extending, non-rotating front element (important if you use a polarizer).

Quote Originally Posted by K1_zav
    Preserving the bokeh and blurry background

Really, this is all about aperture. By 150mm or so, the 70-300mm zooms are at f/5, whereas you'll still be at f/4 with the Canon.

If you decide you want more focal length, you can add a 1.4x extender to the Canon for 280mm f/5.6, and even though an extender has a negative impact on IQ, you'd still have better IQ than either the Canon 70-300 (non-L) or the Tamron 70-300 @ 300mm.

I agree with Sean and John -- 70-200 f/4 is an excellent value, and unless you really need the reach of 300mm or image stabilizer, it would be my first recommendation too.

Keivan,

I agree with the above, however, if you need IS the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is a great option. It is softer at 300mm but acceptable.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/0763.IMG_5F00_0032_2D00_8x10.jpg[/img]

100% crop

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5483.IMG_5F00_0032_2D00_100.jpg[/img]

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Lens: 70.0-300.0 mm
    Image Date: 2011-05-21 10:31:41 +0000
    Focal Length: 282mm
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)

Mark
    Mark

Thanks guy for the tips... Great info.

This lens looks great, I really liked it.

Just a minor thing is that, do I need the IS?

because as I said I shoot mostly without a tripod and then I can not go for slower shots.

I must say I don

For hand holding IS, (VC on the Tamron), is a must. I have not used the Canon 70-300 L but I can not imagine it being three time better. The sample I gave above is at 282mm which is the area that the Tamron is at its worse.

Mark
    Mark

If you are trying to be inconspicious, a white telephoto is not it. The 70-200mm f/4L is very good. Even my 24-105mm f/4 turns heads with all that glass out in front.

You may have to compromise, big lens with lots of glass, or smaller lens with small aperture and phtsically small size. A 100mm f/2.8 might be a option if its long enough. The 135mm soft focus is also less noticible, you do not have to use the soft focus.