Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Softboxes...Which one to get?

Re: Softboxes...Which one to get?

For studio work, a B800 will likely be fine in the larger softboxes. A time when you need the higher power 1600s is when you

Re: Softboxes...Which one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    So the octabox does a better job then the rectangular softbox? Is the main benefit a larger footprint of light? Does the 47" octabox offer more light then the 30 x 60 rectangular?

The difference is the shape of the catchlights, primarily. For a given flash power, light output will get lower (and correspondingly softer) as the surface area of the modifier increases. The 30x60" is 1800 in², the area of the 47" octabox is probably around 1650 in²(it would be 1735 in²if it was round). In practice, there would be no difference in output or softness between those two softboxes.

Can AB 800 unit take full advantage of the larger softboxes or does one need the more powerful like the 1600 for indoor studio work?

Usually the opposite. I think the AB1600 can often be too powerful for an indoor studio, especially a small- to medium-sized space. As Sean stated, you need more power outdoors in the sun. As mentioned above, I like the idea of flexibility and future growth - and although I initially considered the AB series, it seemed to me that one needed to choose between more power for outdoor use (AB1600) or less power for indoor use (AB400 or perhaps AB800, which might still sometimes be too much for a small space). The next series up the PCB line, the White LIghtnings, offer the X1600 - one thing I liked about that was that it's effectively an AB1600 and an AB400 in the same light (still has a 6-stop range, but it can operate in quarter-power mode for a total of 8-stop coverage). In the end, thanks to some advice from others here, I ended up getting the Einstein, which covers a 9-stop range with the bottom end 1 stop lower than an AB400, and the high end equal to the AB/WL 1600 max output.

I'm full of questions aren't I.

Aren't we all? [:P]