Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D MKII for sports

5D MKII for sports

neuroanatomist said:

RE getting the 5DII for sports, that's a mixed blessing. I agree that 'new' is nice (the gear collection listed inmy profileis certainly evidence of that), but I also believe in using the right tool for the job. True, the 5DII has much better ISO performance - I find ISO 3200 produces decent results, whereas I prefer not to go above ISO 800 on my 7D (although with DxO, ISO 1600 is ok, and 3200 is useable). Quantitatively, the FF sensor has 1.33 stops less noise. But the penalty is AF performance and frame rate. The 7D has twice the frame rate, and a far better AF system, in particular the AI Servo performance. My 5DII's AI Servo has trouble keeping a lock on my 3.5 year old daughter running toward me, something my 7D can manage even with the slow AF and ultrathin DoF of the 85L at f/1.2. Both of those outweigh the 1.33-stop noise advantage of the 5DII for fast-moving subjects, IMO. One possibility to keep ISO lower on your 7D is a faster lens - if you're using a zoom, f/2.8 is the fastest (at best, maybe slower); depending on the focal length you need, you can gain 1-2 stops (or more if your zoom is f/4 or variable to f/5.6) with a prime. The 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2 are great indoor sports lenses, as is the 135mm f/2L if that fits your budget and focal length requirements (do be aware of the thinner DoF that results from the wide aperture, though). Bottom line, 5DII is great for portraits, landscapes, etc., but for action shots I'd stick with the 7D (or if you want 'new/better' be looking at the 1DIV).

Hope that helps...

--John

---

Hi,

I usually use the 85 f/1.8 for my indoor sports - the f/2.8 just isn't enough in most cases. The light in the indoor arenas are usually very low, and I have to push the ISO on the 7D up to min 3200 in order to have any chance of stopping the movement (shutter 1/400 - 1/500). The AF keeps up, but the noise really becomes visible:-(

I heavn't tried the 5DII for this, but I would be nice to have a bit better ISO performance. I heavn't been looking at the 1D MKIV, but I do have looked at some second hand 1D MKIII's. Do you think this would be a better performer for indoor movement than the 5DII? There are some possibilities on making a good deal on some second hand 1D MKIII:-)

Re: 5D MKII for sports

as a 5d2 owner I can only tell you that it is NOT ok for sport or anything that require fast AF.My previous 40D was way better when using the AI servo mode (maybe because the AF points were far apart ) than the 5d2 and I think you should stick with the 7d or go for some 1d body and forget about 5d2.

I
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Hi,

All reviews are saying more or less the same so I think you are right... the way to go for a upgrade of the 7D for indoor sports - the 1D MKIII / IV is the way to go:-)

The price on a new 5D2 is aprox $2900 at the moment - a new 1D MK IV $6500.

There are several used 1D MKIII for sale at aprox $2800 - so actually a bit cheeper than a new 5D2:-)

It

The above prices are from Norway:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Benredikk
    Just got a good deal on a 24-105 today:-) looks like new and I got it for $1000 with a B&W UV filter

Here in the US, I often see them for ~$800-850. They're sold as a kit lens with the 5DII, so they usually sell used for much less than new and at a steeper discount than many used lenses, because most buyers know that when bought with a 5DII, you're only paying $800 more for the 24-105mm.

Personally, I bought one used for $800 when I had just a 7D, then sold it a few months later for the same $800 when I bought my 5DII, and got the 24-105mm as a kit, essentially exchanging a used lens for a new lens with no net loss.

Same here in Norway - the 24-105 is sold as a kit lens with the 5D2, but still they are normally sold second hand for around $1200! You know, everything is expensive in Norway, and if we by from outside the borders we

At Dr Croubie,

I agree with your advice for the 1D III for sports, but as for noise performance not really. The 1D III has better noise than the 7D when you both look at them at 100%, but if you downrez the the 7D to 10MP the 7D will only be 1/3rd of a stop worse. So it

How about you take the cheap way out and add a couple of off-camera strobes to the gym. Then you could shoot at "acceptable" ISOs... :-)

It could be cheap if you want it to be, but knowing you it sure won't be! []

John.