Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling all computer savvy members!

Re: Calling all computer savvy members!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

I'm a big fan of multiple disks so you have your sensitive photos "safer" when you have bugs, virusses and crashes. But obviously it is more expensive. A good choice for a primairy hard drive would be the Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue disk. Or you could use an SSD for an even faster system.

That really sounds like a great thing for me to do! First I will see how this works out but I will definitely keep this idea as an option if I need to change things! Thanks, Jan!

Denise

No problem Denise. I think you

Hi Denise...

Sorry to hear about your HDD issues. Depending how important your time is, you may want to perform a system backup of the system drive onto DVD(s) and then perform a restore once the new drive is installed into the system. The only problem with this is that you may end up with 10 DVD
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Thanks, elmo! I will look into the link you provided.

It does look like I have everything backed up onto my external hard drive.

My main concern now is spysweeper not letting me install again ...I

The antispyware that comes with windows 7 is pretty good the way it is (security essentials) and might not need a "paid" version of anything else.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Also, there is a free one online. I can

Licenses for Microsoft is actually remarkably easy. There

Thank you, weilin ...I will! I am working right now but this is first on my list to straighten out when I get home. I need to make sure all programs will be able to load back on before doing anything!

Thanks again!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    I do not know if the problem is XP or my
    BIOS, but the largest hard-drive I can use is 1TB. I would check to make
    sure your machine can recognize a 2TB hard-drive before you start
    "surgery"

It's probably your bios. Windows XP service pack 2 and 3 support 2TB drives for sure. I googled a bit and noticed that more people have the same problem, which seems like a selfcaring problem in some occassions.

I am running service pack 3. Again, I am not sure if it is my BIOS or the XP. What I am suggesting to Denise, is that if her machine does not fire up, and you will know before you get into changing any program licenses, before becoming too concerened, try a 1TB hard-drive. I was aware there could be a problem when I ordered my 2TB, but I gave it a shot since it was a second internal for -- what else -- raw files and my other work flow. I ended up using a 1TB and it went very smooth. I am going to use the "extra" 2TB drive to build a unit with my son, something I had in the back of my mind when I ordered the 2TB hard-drive. In addition, for what is worth, I do not think the savings is enough to justify the green hype, I always go with 7200 RPM drives. There is a value to time, if it costs me $0.95 more per month to work a little faster, that is a trade-off I will take.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Also, there is a free one online. I can't
    remember what it is called. AVG I think ...on filehippo.com.

The free AVG is a pretty good product. I have used it on a couple of machines without any problems. It does not seem to use a lot of resources,either.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke

The antispyware that comes with
    windows 7 is pretty good the way it is (security essentials) and might
    not need a "paid" version of anything else.

I agree with Greg, thus far it is all I am using on our "newest" laptop and it seems to be working well.

Denise, I am sure once you and your daughter start the project, you will find that it will go smoother than you are currently fearing.[]

Chris

Best of luck. If you have any urgent questions feel free to PM me for my number. I do ASIC design now (Intel) but I used to work IT for 7 years. This should be a interesting stroll down memory lane. I have no qualms giving another photographer a hand.