Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Calling all computer savvy members!

Re: Calling all computer savvy members!

Well, it took over an hour and my daughter's persistence paid off ...old hard FINALLY removed! New hard drive is installed & only a couple more programs to add tonight!!! All is good and running like brand new! []

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Thank you, weilin ...I will! I am working right now but this is first on my list to straighten out when I get home. I need to make sure all programs will be able to load back on before doing anything!

Thanks again!

Denise

Denise,

I work for Microsoft as a Commercial/Premier Technical Router. In dealing with Microsoft licenses, there are two things we consider: ROT and RIT limits. Basically ROT refers to how many licenses you actually have, i.e. how many computers can have an installation simultaneously, and RIT refers to how many times the product can be activated on the same machine before you get a genuine advantage error.

The program recognizes the computer it's on by a hardware ID that is assigned to your machine when Windows is installed. It generates this number based on the specific components installed in the tower or laptop. If hardware is upgraded or replaced, often that can trigger a genuine advantage error as well.

If you happen to exceed your RIT limit, Microsoft is generally helpful in that regard. We have the capability of resetting this limit as long as the product is still within it's support life cycle. You would have to simply ask to be transferred to the WGA or OGA team. (Windows Genuine Advantage or Office Genuine Advantage teams, I wish I had their number handy for you [])

Sometimes there will still be issues getting the product reactivated, even after speaking with that team. The good news is we set up no charge technical phone support cases for activation issues.

I would recommend not calling the general consumer support phone number found on the website. All consumer customer support agents are located in the Philippines, and quite honestly are under trained and under paid. Instead, call 1-800-936-4900 and say three things at the voice prompts: "Agent", "Business", "No". You'll have about a 30% chance of getting someone located in the US from professional level support that also handles consumer overflow and will be able to assist you.

That's the licensing. I'm next to useless regarding hardware - bios/driver issues. Seems like there are some knowledgeable folks here. I love the variety and talent present on this forum. Very helpful indeed.

-Rocco
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Well, it took over an hour and my daughter's persistence paid off ...old hard FINALLY removed! New hard drive is installed & only a couple more programs to add tonight!!! All is good and running like brand new! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Bah, this is what I get for not reading the entire thread. Ha! Glad it went smoothly.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

Well, it took over an hour and my daughter's persistence paid off ...old hard FINALLY removed! New hard drive is installed & only a couple more programs to add tonight!!! All is good and running like brand new! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Bah, this is what I get for not reading the entire thread. Ha! Glad it went smoothly.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

No problem, Rocco! In fact the information you provided will probably come in very handy tonight since I left the largest programs to tackle today when I get home (Photoshop CS5, Lightroomand Microsoft Office). I think Microsoft Office is going to be the biggest hurdle with the licensing. We were up to midnight tackling everything else. It's amazing how long a process it is to load everything and then check for updates, etc. Some of the companies have been very quick to respond to my email inquiries ...such as DxO Pro.

Thank you for the information, Rocco!

Denise

Denise,

Business hours are from 6 to 6 Pacific. If you have to call, but don't before then, you'd have to wait until Monday. Good luck! The end is in sight, right? []

Well, it took over an hour and my daughter's persistence paid off ...old hard FINALLY removed! New hard drive is installed &amp; only a couple more programs to add tonight!!! All is good and running like brand new! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Truly great news Denise!! [] How is it speedwise? Do you like your purchase?

Good luck installing the rest and enjoy it! [Y]

It is awesome, Jan!!! [] Everything is loaded back on now and there really weren't any problems with any of them. Everything runs really smooth and I never saw my photos load so quickly! I'm able to have a few programs going at the same time and for the first time, I'm able to use the sliders is CS5 and DxO with no hesitation or "not responding" message! SWEET! [Y]

I am sure there is better and faster out therebut for my needs, this is perfect!

Denise

Hihi that's really nice Denise! That's what we like to hear []

It's great when everything works <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]so smoothly like it should [] I know the feeling when things appear to be a lot smoother. Even if you're just saving split seconds and someone else might not even notice the difference. If you feel that it's smoother, it pays off(at least emotionally, joy!!).

Enjoy it Denise!

Jan