Thread: What lens is best for Rebel Xsi?

What lens is best for Rebel Xsi?

I was thinking of buying a Rebel Xsi but can't decide what lens would be best. I am just starting out; this will be the first DSLR I will own. I wanted to start with a higher quality lens than the kit lens (ie 18-55mm) and have been looking at the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 and the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6, both with IS USM. I am completely confused. I like that the 17-85 has a wider angel capability but have heard that the photos take with it come out soft....which I don't like the sound of. Any help or suggestions of other lens. I can afford to spend up to $500 and was hoping to only get one lens to start. I want a good quality all around lens to take pictures of my son (4 years old) and landscapes, nature. Family shots too. I am going with the right camera body and considering the right lens. So many options.....

Nicole

Re: What lens is best for Rebel Xsi?

Re: What lens is best for Rebel Xsi?

I'm thinking the Tamron 17-50/2.8. It's literally the best all round lens which doesn't go deep into your wallet. See Bryan's review. I started my photography with the Canon 17-85, it is reasonaly wide but the distortion is very noticeable at the wide end, so not very ideal. The 28-135 is a nice lens, but just may not be wide at all on a XSi.

Still around yourbudget, you can bag yourself a Canon 17-40/4L - this could be a lens that you will keep forever. 40mm may not be long enough but it has to do with your taste.