Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The Nikon CLS system is superior to Canon's wireless ETTL flash system. How about building a 580EX with RadioPopper capabilities built in (and possibly a more friendly user interface)?
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'll bite: what makes Nikon CLS superior?
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Damn those wonderful forward/backward buttons on my mouse. I love those buttons, but I wrote a big long reply and it was gone in an instant because I accidentally hit the "BACK" button on my mouse. *sigh*

Ok, to sum it up:

1.) Nikon has been building optical slave capabilities and/or PC sync ports into their flashes for years. Canon only recently incorporated a PC port into its latest model, the 580EX II. In order to get the same functionality, a Canon user (not using a 580EX II) must purchase a hotshoe with a PC port.

2.) A Nikon body can use its pop-up flash to control off-camera flashes. A Canon user must purchase additional equipment (either a master flash, or an ST-E2), both of which are pricey. Also, because a Nikon body can use its pop-up as a commander, you can adjust your flash settings from the camera body rather than using a camera-mounted flash (which, I'm sure, is somewhat easier).

3.) This is trivial, but worth a mention. Once the flash goes into power-saving sleep mode (when off camera), you can wake a Nikon flash up by hitting the test fire button on your triggering system. A Canon flash requires that you touch a button on the flash itself. This is important if you happen to have your flash on a tall lightstand and don't shoot for a little while (which happened to me while shooting a 50th wedding anniversary...I had to disable the power-saving auto-off feature through a custom menu option).

There's my take on it.