Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My most wanted list, anything more to add?

Re: My most wanted list, anything more to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

Agree, I think both Nikon D3 and D700 do this if I remember correctly. It's a cool feature to have but not sure if Canon will actually do it. I personally don't see a point to mount APS-C lenses on FF asCanon doesn't have anygood EF-S optics to begin with. (don't flame me with the 17-55/2.8, I will go 24-70/2.8L on FF...[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img])
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

First of all, to be clear, the point of the post was to have the camera be FF, natively. The idea of the APS button would be to use the FF sensor full frame, or APS-H or APS-C, depending on your selection. It would always use the center portion, and just use larger areas around that up to full frame depending upon choice.

A perfect example would be this: My current 40D has a 10.1 MP sensor, and it is a1.6x crop factor or APS-C. If this were superimposed on a full frame sensor, that sensor would be approximately 16.16 MP overall. That's pretty close, BTW, to an existing (previous) sensor design, the one in the 1Ds Mark II.

Secondly, as to having only two choices, sometimes full frame or 1.6 isn't the ideal factor. As I have read Bryan say in a couple of reviews, the 1.3 factor bodies work very well with some of his favorite lenses. Wider than 1.6 and tighter than full frame. I think it would be important to have all three choices. Besides, it makes it uniquely "Canon".

Frankly, I can't see why they wouldn't do it. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. It is essentially "features for free". You don't need a new sensor. You don't really need a different DiGiC image processor. It would basically be a firmware update. I know that is an oversimplification, but you get the point. It allows a camera to morph from a high-resolution full frame studio camera to a balls-to-the-wall, 10+ fps motorsports shooting machine. All in one body.

The other important thing is that the viewfinder would be filled all the time. That part I am not sure how to implement off the top of my head. In Live View on the rear display it would be a no brainer, but TTL may be harder to solve.

Regarding the poor quality of EF-S lenses, I don't own any, but I understand the 17-55 and the 10-22 are both very high quality. I can also confirm that not all EF lenses are top of the line either. MyEF28-135 kit lens can't hold the lens bag for my current 17-40 f/4L, or the 24-105 f/4Lthat I used to have. EF-S doesn't have to be the kiss of death for a lens, it just makes it less flexible than EF lenses because it can't be used on APS-H or FF bodies.

Re: My most wanted list, anything more to add?

Electronically controlled opaque borders in the viewfinder []