Thread: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW, Carry On Size?

Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW, Carry On Size?

I just ordered this backpack:

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652788-REG/Lowepro_LP36118_PEU_Pro_Trekker_400_AW.html]

I actually thought it was going to be smaller than the one I have now, the Tamrac Expidition 8, guess I should of done more research because I think it is about the same size. Hopefully it will be more comfortable to carry.

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544651-REG/Tamrac_558801_5588_Expedition_8x_Backpack.html]

But my question is this, the bag manufacture says it is Carry on Size. Brian's review says it is carry on size, but his review is dated. I have never considered the Tamrac as a carry on bag and it will be a similar size. So will Delta still allow it?

Delta Carry on rules are this:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height.

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

The bag will meet the 45" requirement but not the 22" x 14" x 9" requirement. So I called Delta to ask about this. As I expected they would be they were very rude, uninformative and very unhelpful. Best I could get out of them is no it couldn't be wider than 9".

Any one have experience with this?

I was thinking of taking it to the Delta Check in one day next week and see if they would let it through. I would hate to arrive and find out it will not go through.

I was going to ship my big lens UPS, but I can get it in a Pelican bag that does meet the size requirements. My brother is going with me and I am going to get him to carry a second bag with the rest of my important gear.

Re: Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW, Carry On Size?

Math check? When I add the dimensions of the bag, I come up with 50.9", which exceeds the 45" (linear) requirement. No one has ever measured my bags, though, nor have I ever seen a gate crew make anyone test their bag in the demo box. It

John

Thanks

The math doesn

Rick,

I went with the expedition 7 for that reason, the airport here said the 8 would be too big. Good luck to you.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Hi Rick

I traveled with Delta last week going to Idaho including their commuter jets. My fastback 350 (9-9.5" depth) barely fit into the overhead bins on the commuter jets (lots of coaxing). Based on that, I would be worried the protrekker 400 (14.5" depth) wouldn

I've had a mixed bag with airlines, once on Ryanair i let the girls in the line in front of me put their handbags in my backpack, one stuffed down my jacket zipped up (kinda hot in Barcelona in July) or they wouldn't have been let on.

But on my last trip back from europe to australia for good, i had a 20kg under, 7kg in, limit.

i managed 22kg under, including a pair of skis (i made the comment checking in 'ah, 1kg under' as if i thought i was allowed 23kg when i knew it said 20kg on the ticket).

onboard i had 10kg in my backpack, mostly laptop and books and change of clothes for singapore (High Sierra something about 50L, way bigger than i knew i was allowed), 7D+70-300L in toploader 55 over my shoulder, my thickest jumper and jackets on, efs15-85 in one pocket with a P&S, in the other pocket was a laptop charger, set of pentaconsix extension tubes, another book, and a collection of coins from about 19 different countries i'd been to (maybe 1kg by itself).

I just remained inconspicuous, always kept my backpack on my back behind me (so the checkin girl didn't see it), zipped my jacket up getting on the plane (surreptitiously got to the front of the queue without pushing), I always sit near the back so i get on in the first boarding group, never had any problem fitting stuff overhead or near my legs (i'm 6' tall, i need my legroom, but i'll give up a bit for my camera).

I don't know how bad Delta is, some companies are a lot worse than others, i'd just try for it and don't draw attention to yourself.

(one thing i've thought of doing, but never had to: if they say it's too big and want to put it under in the hold, is ask them to sign a form saying that you're more than happy to, but they're personally responsible for a $10,000 camera setup if anything happens to it, i'm not sure if that would work though...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    (one thing i've thought of doing, but never had to: if they say it's too big and want to put it under in the hold, is ask them to sign a form saying that you're more than happy to, but they're personally responsible for a $10,000 camera setup if anything happens to it, i'm not sure if that would work though...)

My experience in similar situations is that the people that would stop you, you will have problems with. They want to exercise there authority and it gives them a sense of power. I have heard Delta has poor customer service.

Other trips I have made I have seen people carry on huge bags that I know wouldn't fit in the carry on bin. I don't think the airlines usually say much until you create a problem for them. Its when you find an employee that wants to be a bit difficult that you have problems.

I don't think I want to take the chance. If I had to check the gear, finding a way to stow it save in the other luggage at the last minute might be difficult.

It is a bit of false advertising on Lowepro's part to say it is carry on approved, when its size is obviously over the limit of many airlines.

Brant:

I will have to fly a commuter jet in to West Yellowstone. So it may be a bit cramped.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I am just about set.

RIck

I was flying Continental and even though the bag was bigger than specified they let me through. Of course it didn

Yes, if it