Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printing

Re: Printing

That

Re: Printing

Quote Originally Posted by William

How do I determine the largest physical size that my image can be printed?

Well, it depends on viewing environment (distance, lighting, vision, etc.) as well as your own personal standard of resolution.

For example, several films in theaters have been viewed at 70 feet wide with only 0.3 MP. That's 0.9 pixels per inch. (Yes, that's less than *one* PPI -- forget 300 or 150ppi). Even a 2K digital film 50-foot theater is only 3 PPI). But I would bet that you are not as easy to please as the average film goer, and you're probably going to be closer to the the print.

If you scale your viewing environment with print size, then you can effectively print as large as you want. For example, that web-sized image barely prints 6x4 acceptably, but you could actually print it 2000 miles wide if you want -- all you have to do is view it from the moon and it will look as sharp as possible.

So once you've decided on the viewing environment, all that's left is how much resolution you prefer, personally. If you want to avoid the perception of softness, I suggest trying for 150ppi.