Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Bulb time

Maximum Bulb time

Hi all,

I am planning to start taking log exposure photos, I have seen some tutorials and also some great ideas on youtube, so I am eager to start with this.

What I am wondering though, is what is the maximum time I can leave the shutter open, before destroying the sensor ?

I have seen and heard times of 30 minutes to 1 hour, but I am afraid that I will damage the sensor.

My camera is a Canon 40D,

anyone an idea what is the safest ( longest ) shutter time ?

Many thnx for your answers

Ger

belger.nl

Re: Maximum Bulb time

I would not be thinking that there's a "sensor destruction" maximum time, the camera is smart enough to turn it off if it overheats (or should be). Max i've tried with my 7D is 12 minutes. (but i did do 4*3 minute, a 10 min, 12 min, 4 min, 30s, 10s, within the space of an hour, the 10 & 12 min were pretty much consecutive)

There's a difference between 'can' and 'should' though, I'd be more concerned about IQ, here's a100% crop of a shot i did with my 7D, iso100, 10 minutes. The noise is terrible (so is the diffraction and focus, but that's another thing). 40D is older, so having never used one, i'm still guessing it's got worse noise than the 7D for long exposures.

It's not all bad, I haven't used any noise-reduction, it's just the camera-JPG, i presume i could take out a lot of noise with RAWconversion, and dark-frame subtraction (the few shots i did in a row, the noise is in exactly the same spots), so it's no reason not to try... [H]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/4544.IMG_5F00_5995cs.JPG[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Longer than you want to stay awake. I have seen exposures as long as 12 hours!

John.

What exactly are you planning on taking long exposures of?

One of my hobbies, which is what brought me to Digital Photography is Astrophotography. Astrophotography requires relatively long exposures, but nothing that might cause damage to you camera. Nevertheless, it's not the maximum bulb length you should have to worry about, but rather a maximum saturation limit, or Full Well Capacity. For that reason to extend median total exposure we shoot multiple shots and then stack them.

Hi Guys,

Many thnx for your answers and help. Very helpfull, Thnx.

@ Tkerr, I will read that article you linked to thnx

What I was planning is :

( not sure if this is the correct english )

Make a picture of the night sky, were you will see the stars form a line ( half of a circle )

( Was thinking of starting with an exposure time of 15 minutes, not sure if this will be long enough though ? )

Other plans are ( but this needs not that long of an exposure ) to make multiple pictures of a skyline including the moon, and then see the moon phases. This will need some photoshop work, as I will have to stack the pictures on top of each other.

But for now, I have to wait until the summer kicks in, and the clouds and rain disappear....( Well Actually it is already summer here in the Netherlands, but my guess is that the weather gods don

Quote Originally Posted by BelGer

H

What I was planning is :

( not sure if this is the correct english )

Make a picture of the night sky, were you will see the stars form a line ( half of a circle )

( Was thinking of starting with an exposure time of 15 minutes, not sure if this will be long enough though ? )

That's called Star Trails. You can do it with long exposure, use ISO 100 with the largest aperture for your lens and let it go for as long as you want.
    (1 Hour = 15° of arc.)
    However, you can also do it with Shorter exposures as well. Something along the lines of just 2 to 4 minutes is plenty with a very short interval between each, and then you stack them all together..

If you have Photoshop you can load all your shots into Layers and change the blending mode for each to lighten. Or Select all the layers and convert to Smart Object. (Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object)
    Then you use Maximum Stacking Mode (Layer > Smart Objects > Stack Mode > Maximum)

Or you can download a application for making star trails using multiple exposures that is called Startrails. http://www.startrails.de/

Good information tkerr on the brief photoshop how to. What other kind of shots is stacking good for?

I have used "some kind"of stacking with this picture.

Although I did it a bit more time consuming :-) ( since this was one of my first experiments with Photoshop )

What I did was take all the shots into photoshop, Took 1 picture as the basis, and then "cloned" parts of the other picture in this "Base" picture. This is of course a bit of a puzzle.

I also have made something like this of a man who is attacked by a German Sheperd. ( not sure what the correct English is ) in Dutch it is called "Pakwerk" Maybe a Dutch reader can help me with this ? Anyway, it is not attacked in a bad way, but this was for police dog training :-)

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

Good information tkerr on the brief photoshop how to. What other kind of shots is stacking good for?

It's a common practice for most Astrophotography. Stacking multiple exposures vs a single or only few longer exposures improves the S/R(signal to noise ratio).

Camera: Canon EOS 50D
    Exposures: 45x 180 seconds at ISO 800

Quote Originally Posted by BelGer

I have used "some kind"of stacking with this picture.

Although I did it a bit more time consuming :-) ( since this was one of my first experiments with Photoshop )

What I did was take all the shots into photoshop, Took 1 picture as the basis, and then "cloned" parts of the other picture in this "Base" picture. This is of course a bit of a puzzle.

I also have made something like this of a man who is attacked by a German Sheperd. ( not sure what the correct English is ) in Dutch it is called "Pakwerk" Maybe a Dutch reader can help me with this ? Anyway, it is not attacked in a bad way, but this was for police dog training :-)

You can achieve the same thing loading all your images into Layers, select all the layers and convert to Smart Object just like I described above. Instead of Maximum Stack Mode you might have to choose Minimum Instead. Saves you from all that cloning.