Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polarizer Filters

Re: Polarizer Filters

I read a little about Hoya HD CPL filter. Almost everywhere is written, that this filter is very durable and can transmit more light than other filters because of the higher quality glass. But if this is true, could this "better light transmission" reduce polarization effect? Because i think, that there is still some limit, that polarization effect can be achieved and you can't manufacture filter, which would reduce light transmission loss and would have equal characteristics to normal hight quality CPL filters. Or this is only cheap filters property?

jake66, maybe you could comment from your experience? or someone else?

I have found the the polarizing effect on my Hoya HD CPL to be extremely good. It makes a huge difference to some of the shots I have taken with it on my 17-55mm

I don

I can
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I have one more question.

Does the polarization filter creates effect, that camera can capture wider Dynamic Range? I am talking about landscapes and if the sky in the photo looks darker, more saturated, maybe filter mainly affects only the sky in such a scene? Then ground (fields and forests) gain almost the same exposure or just a little darker than in photo without filter. And finaly due to Polarization captured photo looks with major Dynamic Range - ground is in proper exposure and the sky is not too bright with detailsof clouds.

I understand, that filter can't do what you can do with 3 or more photos with different exposures. But maybe it could help <span class="HW"]although <span class="HW"]just a little to create photos with greater Dynamic Range (DR)?<span class="HW"]

I don
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Quote Originally Posted by icanon

I don't use the polarizer for blueing the sky. In 99% of the time the sky is not my subject instead I use it to bring out the more saturation/details of the foreground of my subject. Obviously I'm talking Landscape and architectural photography here. The darken or 'blueing' I'll increase the saturation in the software I'm using such as Lightroom.

As i do not have polarizer yet and do not use it, i dont know, what exact effect is in final view if we are talking about exposure. You want to say, that polarizer filter just change exposure (makes it approx. 1 or 2 F number darker) equally to all scene? It do not affect sky exposure more than ground or other objects?

I took a class a few years ago with Moose Peterson as instructor and he changed my use using the polarizer. Did a google search on this subject and here is what Mooose had to say: www.moosepeterson.com/.../polarizer.html

Also he did a class at Kelby training stating the same (paid subscription) kelbytraining.com/.../moosepeterson
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Quote Originally Posted by icanon

I took a class a few years ago with Moose Peterson as instructor and he changed my use using the polarizer. Did a google search on this subject and here is what Mooose had to say: www.moosepeterson.com/.../polarizer.html

Also he did a class at Kelby training stating the same (paid subscription) kelbytraining.com/.../moosepeterson

I read that article. Really nice explanation! Thanks []

Need to buy polarizer finally []