Thread: Aperture 2 or Lightroom?

Aperture 2 or Lightroom?

Which one would you recommend in addition to CS4?

Re: Aperture 2 or Lightroom?

My naive choice is Lightroom, because it runs both on Windows and Mac (I have multiple systems at home)

I am using Aperture 2. Mainly because I hate the fact Adobe refused to support new cameras such as 5Dmk2 in CS3, which was only a year and a half old when they deemed it obsolete, bullying everyone to upgrade to CS4.

PS CS3 does all I need and more so...

I know the PS upgrade is only $150 or something, but I'm a graphic designer too, so they obsoleted my whole design premium suite, so they are trying to stick me for $500-$600.

So I said hello Aperture for $200.

It is taking some getting use to but I like it a lot.

I never used lightroom always Adobe Camera RAW.

Wow -- no raw converter for 5D2 in CS3? I didn't know that.....

Anyhow, LR for me. Its too seamless for with PS.....

You can use Adobe's DNG converter but that is an extra process.

Aperture is pretty seamless with PS too. You can actually tell it to edit an image in PS, it will open up in a tif or psd (you set it). You fix what ever you need PS to fix then it will then swops that image in the RAW file without actually destroying the original.

Do some research, I've read that some folks have been less than pleased with images rendered with Adobe's RAW processing. I don't know if they have improved that with CS4. I believe Bryan said he had issues with it. I think. Sorry if I'm not correct on that.

i started with aperture.. but quickly moved to lightroom.. it's a much cleaner and well thought-out program.. and it's faster.

my suggestion? there are free trials of both on their respective websites.. decide for yourself

I first bought Aperture at 1.0, but quickly learned the don't support sigma's raw format. Ditto for 2.0.. still no raw support and no plans for it in the near future. So I finally ditched it (shelved it) many months ago and I use LightRoom exclusivly now.

Aperture was great while it lasted, but a third of my income is earned shooting with the SD14 and I needed a raw developer that supported it along with nikon/canon. I have no regrets with LightRoom.

As a benefit, I started doing some work on a new PC and got a windows license as well and didn't have to learn a new app.

Michael James

I agree with Keith B,

I use Aperture, PS CS3 and OnOne software plugins seamlessly. Very happy with all.

Alan

What issues with camera raw?

I know when I do PP on an image to achieve that low saturation high contrast look, Aperture gives me way more control over midtones than ACR. So that I actually don't lose them and I also don't burn out my highlights. It also does it with out a ridiculous halos or unreal sharpening too that I see most images get with this processing.