Thread: C&C My First attempt with a ND Filter

C&C My First attempt with a ND Filter

Falls at Yellowstone this view is from Artists Point of the Lower Falls. Definatly not somthing that hasn't been shot before.

I used a 6 stoB+W ND filter 6 Stops, with a B+W circular Polarizer, and a 2 stop Singh-Ray graduated ND filter.

1 second, F13, ISO 400, 24mm F1.4L, 5D Mark II

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]

C&C Welcomed

Thanks

Rick

Re: C&C My First attempt with a ND Filter

Before reading the text, I thought it was an HDR(I have the nasty habit to look at the pictures first and then read the accompanying explanantions). I like the composition(made one myself 3 years ago), but the colors are a bit too saturated for my taste.

I really like this shot as well. Colors are about as I remember yellowstone canyon, maybe a tick warm, but very close. I am guessing that this is near mid-day light. I would be very curious what it would look like closer sunrise/sunset, maybe not "the golden hour" as the shadows in the canyon could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter

Before reading the text, I thought it was an HDR

No kidding! Me too. Is that from PP or was the light naturally contrasty and deep?

The shot has a bit of a surreal feel to it. The 1 sec exposure makes the water look like snow and not even, to my eye, like running water. Do you have any shots with a faster exposure? It would be interesting to compare.

Pieter

What I found hard with the falls last year, is it seems hard to get the colors right. I think Kayaker may be right I may have it to warm.

Brant, the original was mid day.

thekingb

I only had one shot that was faster and it is nothing great, this one had no filters at all, F9, 1/160, 400 ISO. It is from a different position, I moved to get the tree out of the side because it was just to dark.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]

I have a question about stacking filters. I saw that HDNitehawk had several stacked and understand that it was necessary to get the effect desired( Stopping down the sky, polarizing and slowing the shutter speed). I read in a photo book some last year that the author strongly recommended not stacking filters because of the affect it has on pic. quality. He may have been just referring to a UV filter and to remove that. My question is how others feel about this?

Thanks,

Brett
    Brett

stack away man! the LEE filter holder kit is designed with 2 slots supplied and additional parts to add more slots should you desire. Google

i think i was using aCPL and a 3stop reverseGNDforbeach shot a few weeksback. -Erno

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/717x478/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/8475.5973292428_5F00_71320df7e6_5F00_b.jpg[/img]