Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 new (and well overdue) purchases

Re: 3 new (and well overdue) purchases

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

That leaves me with the CT414, 3541 XLS and the 5541 LS.

I do not see anything in your kit that requires the 5541LS. I own the 5541LS and it is a beast. You definitely wonthave any drift or movement out of it, because it is rock solid. I use mine with my 500mm with a wimberly head. I would recommend it if you have some supertele's like the 300mm F2.8 or larger, a 70-200mm would seem like overkill to me.

I'm a fan of Gitzo, I do not own the 3541 XLS, I do have the 2541 and it is a great tripod but is smaller than the 3541 XLS. I would vote for the 3541 out of the options you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Man, I've never had an issue spending money on new toys before. Why is it so difficult now???!!!

LOL, me either. I'm pretty happy with my Manfrotto CF legs, although I did just get their hydrostatic 468MG ballhead. If I spend more money on support, it will be a Gitzo, probably with a Monoball Z1 or a Kirk head. I like the 3541 of the choices you list, I'd likely opt for the version with the center column. But right now, I'm trying hard to avoid temptation andnot to spend any money....I'm holding out for a bigger stack of bills, waiting for a 1DsIV, or maybe the 500mm f/4L IS II (in which case I'd also need a Gitzo, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    probably with a Monoball Z1

I boughtthe Z1before I left to Yellowstone. It is sweet. Rock solid and works great. Wish I had bought it along time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I'm holding out for a bigger stack of bills, waiting for a 1DsIV, or maybe the 500mm f/4L IS II (in which case I'd also need a Gitzo, etc.).

That's going to be a big stack of bills, especially if they are all ones. I was thinking maybe the 500mm F4/L IS II, but if they have the 1DsIV out the 600mm F4L IS II might be a better choice. Where will the madness stop.

Well, I have the 3530LS with a BH55 and often use it with my 500 and Wimberley sidekick---its rock solid, easy to transport (with case) and is the perfect height for me--I
    Bob

Thanks guys. I had more of a think about it last night.

Rich - I actually thought about the advantages of the extra height last night so we
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Ben,

I like the choices you have left and I think the RRS-TVC-34L is probably an excellent choice too. Iv'e never used it, but I have a few pieces of gear from RRS and their workmanship is second to none. Gitzo of course has a much longer track record.

Keep in mind that:

Gitzo 3541XLS Height 78in. (198cm) and folded is 27.6inches (70cm.) and 4.3lbs. (1970kg.) $900 US $859 with rebate

Gitzo 3541LS Height 57.5in. (146cm) and folded is 21.7inches (55cm) and 3.8lbs (1.7kg) $617 US $577 with rebate

RRS TVC-34L Height 70in. (178cm) and folded is 24.4 inches (62.2cm) and 4.7lbs. (2.2kg) $1045 US

The Gitzo's also have a $40 rebate now.

I think any of these will be great, but keep in mind that the 3541LS will be much lighter and more compact to carry around. Plus look at the price differences. Iv'e tried the XLS in the store, it's freaking very tall. You will need a step ladder to use it from it's highest position. You will be able to shoot over people (I've shot wedding videos over the dance floor with a step ladder and this technique) or over a crowd, or if you want to shoot down on a model, otherwise I think it's too tall, but you know your needs better than I do, so go for the one that you need/want.

Even though the XLS is still very stable when fully extended, keep in mind that as the legs get taller when comparing similar models they do lose some rigidity and stability.

These are all killer tripods!

Rich

Thanks Rich. I really like the price of the 3541LS but I think I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hey Ben,

I don't want to confuse you more, but after perusing through the RRS website it appears to me that the RRS TVC-34L (Series 3) is competing with the Gitzo 5 Series, and the RRS TVC-24L (Series 2) is competing with the Gitzo 3 Series.

So, I think you should also consider this: RRS TVC-24L Height 66.75 inches (170cm) and folded is 23.25 inches (59cm) and 3.75lbs. (1.7kg) $935

It's 1 lbs. (0.5Kg) lighter. If you're going to eventually use long super-telephotos like the 500mm and 600mm then the RRS-TVC 34L may be better. If you are going to stick to the 300mm f/2..8L and smaller than the RRS TVC-24L may be better.

I also see that you just bought the RRS-BH 55, so that may be better suited for the RRS-TVC 34L I haven't looked into the base plate diameters for the BH 40 versus the BH 55.

Also keep in mind that the larger tripods have larger diameter legs, but more importantly the top plate diameter is bigger, so even though the folded lengths are not that much different, the 34L will take up much more room (area) in a carry-on or backpack.

Also Congratulations on the Engagement! [D]

Rich

G'day Rich, thanks for the congrats mate.

You're right - the 34Lappears to be aimed at the Gitzo 5 series. From what I can make out the TVC-2x tripods are designed around the mid sized BH40 ballhead and the TVC-3x are designed around the full sized BH55.

Have a look at these comparison photos of the Gitzo 5541LS vs the RRS TVC-34L. You'll notice the baseplate on the Gitzo is much larger. Tube diameter is a little larger on the Gitzo, folded length is pretty similar but the TVC is slightly more compact,

www.flickr.com/.../5889840302][img][View:http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5062/5889840302_d5324d8311.jpg][/img][/url]

[www.flickr.com/.../5889840302]Comparison of the Really Right Stuff TVC-34L and the Gitzo GT5541LS[/url] by www.flickr.com/.../grobarek]ScottyG927[/url], on Flickr

The price difference is fairly negligible really and 0.5kg doesn't bother me too much. there's only a 3.2cm increase in folded length for the 34L as well so that's not too big a deal.

Anyway, none of this matters now because I ordered the RRS TVC-34L this morning!!! [] [] [] [] []

I also ordered the padded tripod bag to suit. I know it's expensive at $85 but I've spent this much on the tripod, I might as well get something decent to protect it. The bag's actually a really nice setup.

There is a backorder but I had an email from RRS before I ordered suggesting that an order today should be shipped before the end of the month. I'm happy to wait that long.

So I've completely blown my budget out of the water but hey, that's why I bust my guts underground every day.

Good times,

Ben

P.S Thanks for everyone's input, it's been an interesting discussion.

So I just unboxed the RRS TVC-34L.... absolutely amazing. Review to come.