Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 new (and well overdue) purchases

3 new (and well overdue) purchases

Hi Guys,

I've been a bit scarce on here lately - I started a new mid-level management role at work so it's been amazingly hectic.

My better half has been telling me for a while that I'm not allowed to buy any more camera gear unless she gets a ring on her finger. She always pretended she was joking but the hints were coming through thick and fast. []SO..... a couple of weeks back Lauren and I got engaged and she finally got that ring (after 8 years [:O]) which is really exciting.

Almost as exciting though is the fact that I can finally buy some new stuff!!!

I'm still really undecided on lens purchases at the moment. Tossing up between the Canon 14mm f/2.8L (holy $$$ batman!), the Sigma 12-24mm or the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. I always loved my Canon 10-22mm for landscapes but I really need a good telephoto fast prime in my kit. So I've left lenses alone for now.

So I went ahead and thought about what frustrates me the most about my kit. Instantly I thought of that horrible bit of play between my camera body plate and the quick release clamp on my cheapo tripod I picked up while travelling through Vietnam. Every time I set the frame with the tripod I have to adjust to allow for the droop and it just annoys the hell out of me. It's been good to me for a while, but it's not handling the weight of my setup these days.

I read a really interesting article that somebody linked to here about buying the right tripod the first time instead of going through multiple iterations and in the end spending twice as much. With that article in mind I went ahead and ordered a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead with lever release clamp, RRS camera body plate and RRS lens plate for the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. I'm a big fan of really well machined equipment. If anybody's into archery here and knows about Sure-Loc sights - that's where my obsession with very well made gear started.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a go for a while on the existing tripod legs but that didn't last long.

Today I ordered the Induro CT 414 carbon fibre tripod. I looked at Gitzo's but I can't justify that cost. - which does kind of contradict my previous statement about going all out but for me to get a Gitzo 3541 LS over here would cost me over $2000, no thanks.

I haven't read a bad review of the Induro 8x carbon fibre tripods yet so I took the plunge. I did consider the 3 section tripod but as I'll be travelling with it I wanted something slightly more compact. The induro really looks rock solid, I think it's going to be a much more enjoyable experience dragging the tripod out. I know it's probably overkill for my current gear but I'd rather be certain I've got long lasting, rock solid equipment to put it on.

I haven't found a lot of reviews on this particular induro model yet so I'll be sure to review and get plenty of comparison pics once it all arrives. I'll even throw in a photo of the ring for good measure (come to think of it I might need that Canon 14mm to fit the bloody enormous rock in the frame!!!)

Cheers,

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: 3 new (and well overdue) purchases

Congratulations on your new job, your new gear and your engagement! (in random order)

Congrats, Ben!! []

Congrats on all 3 counts!!

I have the Induro CT213 and have been very pleased with it! Of course for a lens, my vote is for the Sigma 85mm!!!

Denise

AH! Jealous! I have been eyeballing that RRS head for quite some time now.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Awesome! I love my RRS gear. I use it for photo and video

Congrats Ben, another astute investment. Ahh congrats on both investments, I am sure this will bring stability to your relationships.

I
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thanks everyone - I just checked UPS and the ballhead has arrived in the country (not bad after only ordering it Wednesday night). The tripod might be a couple of weeks away.

Denise - I think I'm on the same lines as you, that Sigma 85mm is really sparking my interest. I remember reading that you got the Induro as well, I think it's going to be a good solution for me.

Rocco - Just do it!

Steve - I see what you did there []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Rocco - Just do it!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You know.. I think I'm going to this next tax season. Although, there are two other purchases in that range that are tempting my wallet into damnation. I suppose I'm going to have a thread on here around that time discussing the moral implications (yes moral) of my next major photographic purchase. Unless, of course, you just want to give me your new tripod. That would certainly make my dilema easier to digest. []
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers