Thread: Canon f1.8

Canon f1.8

Just when i made my mind up my mate throws a spanner in the works.

I read the advice on whether to get the 85 1.2 or Sigma 85 1.4. Moneys not a problem at the moment and lots of photograph opportunities in the UK at present if you watch the people helping themselves to whats in shops then burning them. I was really tempted by the Sigma but my head keeps saying they just arnt as reliable as the Canon. Get a good one and its great but theres a chance ill get a bad one. Just as i made my mind up my mate said why not get a 1.8? After all its light, focus's pretty quick, is a sharp as a very sharp thing, cheap and the catch, for what you do would suit you far better. In such tough financial times maybe he's right. Is it true then, is the 1.8 a hidden gem in the Canon line up? Is it really that good? From what i read yes. Oh and it will be used for street portraits, street life, not studio.

Mick

Re: Canon f1.8

if you are looking for some support for getting the f1.8,iam the one.i almost don

Yes, the 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens, and one of the best values in the Canon lineup, IMO. Great for the uses you intend...

Quote Originally Posted by Micktheexbiker
    is the 1.8 a hidden gem in the Canon line up?<span>Is it really that good?

I don't know if I would call it a gem, per se. More like: if the features match what you want, then it's great.

For example, if you were a poor college student that would rather have an 85mm f/2.8 with a slower autofocus for $200 rather than 85mm f/1.8 with fast autofocus? For that person, the f/1.8 is not as much of a gem, because Canon intended it for a different type of photographer.

In one sense or another, every Canon lens is a gem. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot the 135mm f/2.8 soft focus, but for some photographers out there, it's just what the doctor ordered.

If you need AF, then yes, as stated above by others, it is an affordable good lens. If, on the other hand, you don't need AF, or would like to try MF, then I would highly recommend the Samyang(Rokinon, Vivitar...) 85 1.4. I just purchased it last week for $271 from Amazon. The quality is just a touch below the 85 1.2Lll and and Nikon's 85 1.4G wide open, but for the price it is a stellar lens! But the bokeh is phenomenal, and competes with the bigger lenses in all regards. It is definitely worth checking out. Here is a link to some shots taken with it on a 1D4, and I will be adding more soon...

https://picasaweb.google.com/112876940890442133557/Rokinon8514?authuser=0&amp;feat=directlink

Cheers and good luck with your decision,

Gregg

I went from using the EF 85/1.8 USM to the EF 85/1.2L II USM.

The 85/1.8 did 95% of what I wanted. I still sometimes regret selling it. My copy was remarkably sharp and there really wasn

The f/1.2 lens is almost 5x more money than the f/1.8, which I own and love. If you are at all hesitant, buy the f/1.8 and try it. If you love it, great! If not, sell it and buy the f/1.2.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you
    Digital.. Canon EOS 40D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4​L​ USM | Canon SpeedLite 580EX II
    Film..... Canon EOS 650 | Canon EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon SpeedLite 430EX II