Thread: Buying a Canon dSLR (60D specifically)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Buying a Canon dSLR (60D specifically)

The warranty covers defects from materials or workmanship for one year. I would deffinately get it so you have warranty, I also have the 60D and the LCD stopped working a few days after I bought it.

John.

What I

The 6 year thing from your vendor, that's a UK only thing, as far as I'm aware. Nowhere else in the world. If you buy from outside the UK, I really doubt you could enforce your UK rights. That's likely why they made it the vendor, not the manufacturer, who is responsible. Manufacturers would have just moved their factories outside the UK, and no protection would have remained. Those rights are likely part of the reason why things cost more in the UK. You're paying for a 6 year warranty whether you want it or not.

I don't know for certain, but there has to be limitations on your consumer rights. I'm sure it doesn't cover wear and tear defects, like the shutter system wearing out (Canon will cover that for your 1st year) or use issues like dropping the camera, bringing into the rain, etc.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I bought it from Digital Rev in the end, they have their own 1 year local warranty covering parts and labour. Was also bought on a credit card for additional protection.

I have a quick question though: Batteries, is it worth going for a branded, but non-canon replacement battery. Canon LP-E6

Quote Originally Posted by ham
    Batteries, is it worth going for a branded, but non-canon replacement battery?

Wow, I never would have imagined that Energizer would allow their brand on a knock-off battery. It seems odd that the only places I can find that sell it are in the UK, e.g:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-energizer-ca-lpe6-lpe6-battery/p1524818

I wonder why it's not on their own web site or available for sale anywhere else (that I can find)?

Quote Originally Posted by ham

Any thoughts? Does anyone use completely un-branded batteries?

Personally, I *only* use the completely un-branded batteries (no-name knockoffs from China). Canon isn't very happy with me, I'm sure, but I haven't had any cameras damaged yet, and I've saved thousands of dollars (including accessories like battery grips, shutter release, flash cable, etc.) over the years thanks to the tireless efforts of the Chinese copy-cats.

I

I have a Duracell battery for my T1i
    Digital.. Canon EOS 40D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4​L​ USM | Canon SpeedLite 580EX II
    Film..... Canon EOS 650 | Canon EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon SpeedLite 430EX II