Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another backpack question

Another backpack question

Hi Guys,

I know this question has been asked before but my search function isn
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Another backpack question

Hi Ben,

No specific bag that can be carried on the front or back and carry that much gear comes to mind. When I did my search and posted on this forum, the three brands that impressed me were think tank, Kata and lowepro.

I

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. I'm a little confused.

Do you want a chest-pack, small backpack, large backpack, or sling pack?

Do you plan on using this pack at the same time as your large pack?

You mention that you may carry it separately, then will it need to hold your tripod too?

Does it need to hold all of your gear, or just a body and 1-2 lenses?

Does it need to hold the laptop?

Does it need to be carry-on size?

Rich

Thanks Brant - not exactly what I was looking for.

It was very early when I wrote that post and I've had a pretty intense weekend at our annual rodeo so I may have fried a few brain cells in the process. I'll try to clarify.

Sorry Rich, to answer your questions:

I want a back pack - Yes I plan on using it at the same time as my large pack, but not always. I'll only have to carry it on the front when I'm carrying my large pack. Other times I'll be using it as a normal back pack while the rest of our luggage stays in our motel. It's going to have tobe reasonably large (around 25-35L).

When carrying it separately I will need it to hold my tripod as well. However I'll likely have the tripod in it's own bag which I can carry over my shoulder separately if need be.

I would like it to hold all of my gear as I don't want to miss any shots as we travel around during the day.

It doesn't really need to carry a laptop. We may not even take one.

Yes it needs to be carry on size as I don't trust anyone with my gear (I'm sure a few of us will see where I'm coming from here).

I've been having a bit of a look today and I've found a couple that I like, but haven't made any decisions yet. They're reasonably large but I don't think I can get away from that if I want to carry all of my gear.

This one's tickling my fancy at the moment. Dakine are fairly well know for snowboarding / surfing packs and the reviews of this one have all been positive.

http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/photo-packs/sequence

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I don't know if it fits what you are looking for but I have an F-Stop Loka which I'd recommend as a very good mid-sized back-pack. It utilises separate inserts of various sizes to hold the camera gear, with room for other items depending on the size of insert you use. I'm very impressed with the design and build.

They also have a smaller pack, the F-Stop Guru, I have no experience with it though.

I

What part of NZ are you from cfnz?

Ben, your

Hey Ben....in that case, several bags will work. For example, I fit my 7D (no grip, but there is room), EFS 15-85, 100-400L, 580II, 100mm L macro in my Lowepro Fastpack 350 and that leaves part of the camera section for all of my filters (which could be used for another lens), the side compartment for a lap top and the top for misc stuff. I carry the tripod by sticking one leg into the computer compartment or placing it into the back flap. It is carry on size and I have even fit it into the carry on compartments of small commuter planes.

Overall, I have really liked the Fastpack. Contoured should straps, side access so I can get to my camera without taking the pack off, waistbelt and looks like a normal black backpack.

But, that said, lots of bags should work. When I did my search a year ago, I was deciding between the Fastpack 350 (which I ended up selecting mostly for the top compartment and the fact that a local shop had it so I could test it out), the Lowepro flipside 400, Kata bumblebee and the Kata 103. The last three I liked the specs and I know the several people here use the flipside, but couldn

I think the F-stop Loka would be a great choice. I don't have one, but I would love to get one. I hear they are frequently backordered, so if you want one then you should check for availability.

I have a Kata HB-205 Hiker Backpack and a Kata R-104 Rucksack. The Hiker is a serious backpack but not carry-on compatible while the Rucksack is also fully adjustable it has a removable waist-belt and removable side pockets, which I think adds to the flexibility of this bag. They both are very well padded inside and out. They are part of the GDC series. You could literally throw the bag around. The also make a lighter series since some people don'e like all of the padding. I happen to like the added protection, but it does add some weight. They both hold laptops or a water reservoir. I think they were both replaced with newer models but you still may find them online. The R-106 below is a little larger than my R-104, but it still may work for you. I'm not sure about carry-on ability with the R-106, as I have the R-!04 and that one was fine. It also seems to be on sale at Adorama. I spent over $200 for mine.

www.kata-bags.com/kata2.asp

http://www.clikelite.com/products/#Backpacks

http://www.adorama.com/KAR106.html

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2010/10/14/f-stop-loka-photo-packpack-and-new-icus-photo-satori-tilopa-fstop/

Good Luck,

Rich