Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flickr Question

Flickr Question

Could someone please tell me how to makeit so that on flickr people cannot download my photos? I noticed others have it set up this way but I must be a blind photographer because right now mine is set so that anyone can download my photos and I cannot find how to change it.

One reason that I ask is I noticed a personon flickr has saved just about every single one one of my dog photos as a favorite. I'm trulyflattered but it just seems alittle excessive & got me to thinking ...how safe are our photos on there really?

I have started adding more photos to my own website which I haven't in awhile because it is so much easier to post them from flickr. Ever since we changed this website, I have been unable to load them here directly.

Denise

Re: Flickr Question

I just don
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

How am I going to finance my next lens, if I can
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I'm trying to photoshop a rhinestone handbag around one of your dogs, suppose I should have asked first. []

Now that your dog has hit the Big Time you might have to start thinking about a manager and a security team. [H]

Only joking.

Good question. I use a free LR plugin to upload my images to flickr. There are plenty of settings in there too to automate your uploads, including privacy. If you're interested I could find a link for you. I guess that you just have to assume that anything you upload to the internet is potentially at risk. Even small images can be useful for someones website. Not looking at anybody here lol!

i believe there is an option to block certain flckr users. another option is to just share certain photos with friends and family only.

I reckon it
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I don

For me I just ask what is the worst case scenario? Someone's got an image that belongs to me, so what? How much damage can they do with that. This of course is very easy for me to rationalize away because I don't depend on my images for my livelihood. But my images are still important to me and I still intend to sell the best ones. However in all reality those that may chose to steal my images will probably not use them on a large scale and they will most likely exist in a market that I will leave untapped. What would get my attention is a local artist that reproduces my images and uses them in competition against me. This to me is more serious but very unlikely.

I once worked for a guy who designed and fabricated fiberglass body parts for custom cars. He never patented his work and one day some of his work ended up in a magazine and someone else was reproducing some of his parts. When I asked him if this bothered him he simply said that it would cost more of his time and money to patent his work and chase down offenders than what it was worth to him. He believed that his talent was an endless resource and those that chose to copy him would always be one step behind. While I believe that he should have at least taken some basic measures to protect his work, he did have a point. What other people were doing with his work never really left him out of pocket.

Regarding pursuing this through the courts; this is very time consuming and difficult. Not so long ago I took the time to brush up on copyright law in preparation for selling my work. Yes the law will be on your side but you first have to ask the question, is it really worth it. In some cases the answer will be yes, but for small-time folk like myself the answer is usually no.

Sorry about the long Post [:#]

I don't mind anyone saving my photos as favorites. For someone to do that, I do find it flattering that they like it that much If I post them on flickr, it is so others can enjoy looking at them on the web (and so I can have another place that they are saved) or so I can place them here for critique.

I just don't like people that I don't know downloading them and either printing them or manipulating them in further pp. If someone on this site were to do that (and they have) and then show me what they did to improve my photo or to present me with certain ways I can improve them, that I am all for and sincerely appreciate their time and effort! In fact, I learned alot from that process and it was very helpful.

What brought this question up was, I looked at Richard Lane's photo of the white bird he posted last night in the best birds thread. When iwent on flickr to view it larger, I saw his setting was "user does not permit downloading of this file". So I asked my daughter what mine said when she went to that screen for one of my photos and she said she was allowed to download it. My curiousity was sparked from there to change my setting ...if I knew how.

I guess I walked right into the ribbing about my dogs ...lol! Heck, even i don't like them that much to save every one of their photos as a favorite! Who knows ...maybe they will end up being the most famous puppy mill surviviors on the internet! [:P]

Your post encouraged me to check (I don