Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to take on an all day nature hike?

What to take on an all day nature hike?

Hi All!

On Friday, I am taking an all day trip to central Wisconsin to go to the Horicon Marsh ...33,000 acres of nothing but nature & the only place in the US that has been considered home to over 290 types of birds over the years! I know now is not the best time to be going but once I learn my way around, I may go back in the fall.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/wildlife_areas/horicon/

I have never been there and am not quite sure yet where exactly to go for the best shots but I am hoping to leave home around 3:30 a.m to catch some sunrise photos and then proceed to walk the trails and maybe hang in there for some sunset shots!

Usually when I go for all day trips like this I tend to over-pack my bag and it makes for quite an uncomfortable end to the day!

For lenses, I know I will take the100-400mm & 1.4ex II

Debating on ...

Canon 35mm L or the Tamron 17-50mm ...of course the 35mm is better IQ but the zoom may come in handy and it's lighter.
    Canon 100mm L IS Macro or Sigma 70mm Macro
    Canon 135mm or 200mmL II
    Sigma 85mm??

Tripod or Monopod?

See, there I go ...overpacking!

Lately, I have been reading a great deal of conflicting information on filters. It is suppose to be mostly sunny on Friday ...should I bring mostly UV, CPL or ND filters? I am worried about blowing out the white birds and I am hoping I won't be dealing with a great deal of sun ...shade ...sun all day!

Other than that, I have 2 batteries, 3 CF cards & Deep Woods Off!

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

Denise

Re: What to take on an all day nature hike?

Food and water.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Now the serious stuff. You said birds, so the 100-400 and 1.4. I
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Will you have room for a banjo? :-D

I think your two zooms and one of your macros. If there are heaps of birds, there should be heaps of bugs. Take your filter wallet with filters for sunrises and if you take your 100mm, it would be perfect for stitched panoramas as well. So you will need a tripod for sunrise, you might be able to get those shots done before you get too far away from your car, then double back switch and grab the monopod. If you are hanging in for sunset shots make sure you take a torch.

On a serious note, you should find room for a basic first aid kit with a compression bandage and a silver exposure blanket and a whistle and a companion would be handy. I would volunteer, but Friday is too short notice for me, sorry.

I know you are hiking but the canoeing option sounds great and in that case you probably should take Brant, next time.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I

100-400 and 17-50mm a ND filter is a good idea. I hate over-packing with camera stuff... it makes the hike less pleasurable. I usually just bring a camera with a lens attached.

If you take too much stuff, you
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    See, there I go ...overpacking!

I always take too little of the important stuff like food and water and too much camera gear. Don't do that [] Make sure you have plenty of food and drinks and a first aid-kit with some anti-mosquito and after-bite stuff.

As far as camera-gear goes: I'd take the 100-400, 17-50 and the extender, some filters, memorycards and perhaps some other attributes I'm forgetting.

About the macro lens: I've read a bit on the website you're referring to and it's mainly wetlands as I can see. Unless you are certain you're going to see special flies/bugs etc, don't take a macro lens. My experience with macro photography in a wet area/swamp-like area is just bad. There are plenty of bugs around, but they're often hard to reach due to the water or it will get you in an uncomfortable position where you'd need a tripod or flash...which doesn't seem like a good option.

If I were you, I'd pack the things I've just mentioned and if there's any room and you feel like carrying some extra weight, take a tripod.

Oh and something to sit on(chair, plastic bag or whatever) would perhaps be nice as well. You've got to rest from time to time and perhaps your chances in some wildlife photos would increase as well when you'd remain at one place for a while.

I hope you have a great day friday!

Jan

Why not just get a porter carry everything? Maybe a mule? Do you have a wife/kids? ;D

17-50mm

One of your Macros.

100-400mm

CPL and ND Filters

Tripod for sunrise shots, but then maybe you can leave it in the car.

Sunscreen, power bars, water, flashlight, fire-starter, knife.

Sounds like a great day. Can't wait to see the shots. Enjoy!