Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EOS Rebel T3

Re: EOS Rebel T3

Wish I could do that with that stupid live view button on my T1i, I have it disabled because I NEVER use it but wish I could set the button to something else...
    Digital.. Canon EOS 40D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4​L​ USM | Canon SpeedLite 580EX II
    Film..... Canon EOS 650 | Canon EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon SpeedLite 430EX II

snapsort.com/.../specs

I was taking a look at ^this^ and im far from understanding most of it, however the specs on the D5100 look quite a bit better, however it is about 200$ pricier in most places. Trying to keep brand loyalty out of it, and without just listing off specs/numbers that we already have access too... Why should i go for the T1i? Why should i go for the D5100?

Thanks again for all of the responses.

The T1i has a special center AF point that has enhanced sensitivity when using lenses with a max aperture of f/2.8 and faster. As a shooter of Canon
    Digital.. Canon EOS 40D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4​L​ USM | Canon SpeedLite 580EX II
    Film..... Canon EOS 650 | Canon EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon SpeedLite 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by Orangejuice
    As a first time DSLR buyer looking for a long term camera (so i can focus more on lenses instead of entirely new cameras) would you recommend going for the D5100 or for a D3100 or T3?

You've hit the nail on the head with this statement, "So i can focus more on lenses...." Of the three cameras you list, based on spec the D5100 is the best choice. But you're not buying just a camera...you're buying into a system. The D5100 and T3i (even moreso the T3) are entry-level cameras. If you're just going to get the body and the kit lens that comes with it, and stop there, either one will be fine. If you'll be going beyond the basics, you really need to consider all of the elements of the system...lenses, flashes, etc., to make an informed choice. The bottom line is that you can take great pictures with either system. But it really is best to choose the system at the outset - once you have a bag full of lenses, switching camps is pretty impractical (and costly).

So, how do the systems stack up against one another? Not too different, really. Both Canon and Nikon offer several tiers of bodies - entry level, mid-range/prosumer, and pro. If you stick with this, likely you'll upgrade at some point, so consider not just the entry-level, but the mid-range as well. For the most part, there are equivalent lenses - both entry-level kits include an 18-55mm kit lens, both brands have prosumer 17-55mm lenses, both have 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lenses, etc. There are some differences in the lineups - Nikon has more/better choices for ultrawide zooms for FF (an excellent 14-24mm f/2.8, and a 16-35mm lens with image stabilization), Canon is better in the short telezoom range, offering a excellent 70-200mm f/4L IS, and the Canon 100-400mm delivers better IQ than equivalent Nikon 80-400mm offering. There are some truly unique lenses, mostly on the Canon side, e.g. the TS-E 17mm (Nikon's widest PC-E lens is 24mm), the MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro (no Nikon macro lens goes beyond 1x mag), the new Canon 8-15mm fisheye zoom, and the Nikon supertele lineup stops at 600mm, while Canon offers an 800mm lens. Nikon does offer a 200-400mm f/4 zoom, Canon has announced one but who knows when it will arrive.

Price is another consideration - in general, Canon lenses tend to be slightly cheaper than their Nikon counterparts. Here are links to lists of current prices for bodies and lenses from Canon and Nikonso you can compare for yourself.

One final consideration in comparing the two systems is information - fundamentally, that forms the basis for any comparison. I have to say - no where have I found as complete and informative set of gear reviews as what Bryan has built here on TDP for the Canon lineup. I had a similar Canon vs. Nikon decision when I bought my first dSLR about 2 years ago, and honestly, the availablity of this resource and the detailed reviews was one of the main factors in my choosing Canon.

Hope that helps...

--John

EDIT: Software is another consideration - if you'll shoot RAW (and you should!), Canon includes DPP for free, whereas to edit Nikon RAW files with Nikkon software, you have to shell out additional $ for CaptureNX2. May be irrelevant if you're using 3rd party software (Lightroom, Aperture, etc.), but something else to consider.

John,thanks for the informative and unbiased response.

For the past few days i have been researching more and more into this, and from what i have gathered now, i have decided to pass up the D3100 and the T3. My sights have moved around a bit from camera to camera (as this thread shows) but the D5100 does truly seem to be an amazing camera for the price and I am hoping that with the right lenses I will be able to get started with DSLR photography. I did notice the hefty price tag on many of the Nikon lenses, however with the help of multiple lens reviews i think i have an idea of some fairly cheap, but good quality lenses that may suit my interests as a hopeful hobbyist...

Heres a list of what i am considering...

Camera: Nikon D5100

Memory: 16GB SD (I am assuming I should get class 10?)

Lenses:

-Nikon 18-55mm VR

-Nikon 55-200mm VR

-Either the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D or the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D for indoor, low light, a<font size="7"]
    </font>

Just as a follow up,

I ended up going with the Nikon D5100 w/ 18-55mm VR and 55-300mm VR lenses.

Hopefully this will get me started!

Another question though,

Am i still allowed to contribute to the photos and community here, even though i went with a Nikon? I have noticed that most of the folks on this forums are using Canon lenses and cameras.

Go find a Nikon forum, traitor!!!

Sorry, my sarcactic alter-ego occasionally escapes. Of course you

This forum was Canon only for years, as it hosted only reviews and tools (ISO sharpness charts, flare tools, etc.) for Canon. Bryan somewhat recently added Nikon reviews and tools. We haven
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I loved the Nikon D300 and kinda lost track where the D5100 falls. It just happened I already learned Canon
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.