Thread: Circular polarizer

Circular polarizer

I am still in the early stages of learning on my 7D, 24-105mm. I

Re: Circular polarizer

Welcome naturac,

Quote Originally Posted by naturac
    I am still in the early stages of learning on my 7D, 24-105mm. I've taken some shots of dolphins and was thinking a polarizer might help with my next dolphin encounter, not to mention other opportunities. (at almost $100. I hope my thoughts are correct)

Your thoughts are mostly correct, a good polarizer is is certainly a part of any good kit. And with what you are shooting a polarizer will certainly be useful.

I have done some research, a b&w slim circular polarizer seems like the best option.

As for the mostly part, if you are not going to go FF in the near future, you should be able to get by with a standard thickness filter. The 24mm on a 7D (or any APS-C 1.6 crop sensor) is effectively 38.4mm. In short, you are only using the center area of the lens on you 7D, which takes the filter thickness out of the equation. If you plan to go FF, then you are in entering the area where filter induced vignetting may factor in. In either case I would recommend the MRC version. I am using the B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating myself. Here are Bryan's reviews of both versions along with links you can use to purchase, which help fund this site.

Regular: the-digital-picture.com/.../B-W-77mm-MRC-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Review.aspx

Slim: the-digital-picture.com/.../B-W-77mm-MRC-Slim-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Review.aspx

You should start with the regular filter first as Bryan generally refrences back to the 77mm sizes from the other reviews since only the size of the filter is different. Regardless of what thickness you get, make sure it is a CIRCULAR version since that is what you need for a DSLR.

I believe I read something about a 45 degree angle, not sure what exactly. Was it keep the lens at a 45 degree angle from the sun?

Any tips would be great!

As far as the angles it has to do with how the sunlight is reflected towards the camera. Here is an article which may help you understand that a little more.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/.../polarizing-filters.htm

One last warning; there seems to be a lot of counterfeit filter issues currently. If there is a large discrepancy in the price, I would suspect the cheaper version to be counterfeit. B+W Filters are like Canon lenses -- very closely priced at any reputable dealer. I would not buy from e-bay for example, they seem to have more unscrupulous sellers. Personally, I get mine from Adorama or B&H, and I have had no issues with either one. The prices are usually the same with free shipping sometimes being a difference. FWIW, my B&H orders generally arrive quicker, within two days. B&H seems to ship directly to me using UPS or USPS, whereas Adorama uses a shipping service (for the cheapest shipping) which sends the packages on a scenic PA road-trip -- and when that method is used it adds at least two days to shipping.

Good luck,

Chris

EDIT: correct spelling

Re: Circular polarizer

I use and really like the B+W K