Thread: DPP Question - Default NR ?

DPP Question - Default NR ?

Hi guys -

Do the 40D and 5D apply some sort of NR to raw images that isn't user-accessible?

I was surprised to see "2" when I set DPP's preferences to "camera defaults."

Thanks.

Re: DPP Question - Default NR ?

When I open pictures taken with my XSi in DPP, they also default to a 2 NR value. Of course, you can set NR to 0.

Yes, NR is automatically applied in-camera, with increasing NR strength as ISO increases, and based on camera body (NR strength increases faster with increasing ISO on the 7D than on the 5DII). If you set DPP to use the camera settings, that NR will be pre-set for each image. If you want to turn NR off, select Set as Defaults and set the sliders to zero in the DPP preferences (Tool Palette tab).

Quote Originally Posted by canoli

Hi guys -

Do the 40D and 5D apply some sort of NR to raw images that isn't user-accessible?

I was surprised to see "2" when I set DPP's preferences to "camera defaults."

Thanks.

You can set the default to whatever you want DPP to use. Personally I prefer it to default to zero in DPP. Turn any noise reduction off in the camera and shoot raw.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/0x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8372.DPPNRDefault.JPG[/img]