Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 24: Light - Congrats Adrian Mandea!

Re: Assignment 24: It's all about the Light

No cutoff date on this one eh?

Cool shots Rich. I like that last one. The way it blew out the sun.. made it look HUGE. Very nice.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Great photos everyone! [Y]

This is the last weekend to submit your photos, so if you haven't joined yet, please do so []

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

Cool shots Rich. I like that last one. The way it blew out the sun.. made it look HUGE. Very nice.

Thanks Rocco! The competition seems very high on this assignment!

The larger than normal size of the Sun and Moon shot at the horizon is considered an optical illusion. The reason for this illusion is till debated as you can read about it in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

If anyone takes a shot like this with a "Super-telephoto" lens, then please be very careful not to point the lens in the direction of the Sun for more than a second or two as you can risk damaging your camera sensor.

Rich

Probably taking the assignment a little to literally. So here is a light.

On the more subtle side this was a long exposure (25 seconds) after the sun set which makes the Lake Michigan waves look foggy, and then after everyone went home, the person that closes the park showed up and went inside. He turned the lights on and left the door open... which just adds a little to the lighthouse.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/:500:0]
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Is it time to vote yet?

Wow, so many good ones here, personally love the cave at the top of the page, i've seen caves that good (in the Czech) but never with a camera unfortunately. No way i'll get anywhere near them so may as well put in another one just for the show of it.

Lensbaby vs Xmas Lights:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/5807.IMG_5F00_3941cs900x600.JPG[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

Is it time to vote yet?

Easy easy the entry period was till sunday the 19th. I guess sunday the 19th has ended all over the world now, so I consider Dr Croubies entry as being the last one that can be judged and the entry period to be closed.

The finalists will be selected as soon as possible and hopefully we'll get to vote soon!

Good luck everybody!

I am digging Richard

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

I am digging Richard's Surfer Silhouette image. Always something that draws my eyes and interest with the warm glow plus the surfer in the air and the guy walking on the beach. That photo meets the three elements rule (surfer, person walking, interesting water/waves). Richard did you have to use a warming filter, spin on or photoshop?

Thanks Bryan!

No, I didn't use any filters on the 300mm lens which only takes the Canon neutral Drop-in or CPL and I wasn't using the CPL because it was getting late in the day. I didn't use any special photoshop tricks either, because I don't know any.

All I did was a couple of slider adjustments for post-processing in Apple Aperture. I lowered the exposure by 1 stop (because I was actually shooting surfers to my left away from the Sun and then I saw some big surf breaking to my right over on the next beach, and as I turned to my right I got lucky just as this Surfer was getting some air, so I took the shot but it was overexposed). I also raised the contrast from 0 to 0.5, the black point from 3 to 5.5, defintion from 0 to 0.55, and the biggest adjustment was the highlights from 0 to 60 and that was about it. It's also cropped a bit.

Rich

Thanks for all the info. I didn