Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 24: Light - Congrats Adrian Mandea!

Assignment 24: Light - Congrats Adrian Mandea!

This assignment is what photography is all about: Light. In this assignment lighting or lights are the stars and that's what we like to see.

Update: Great input everyone! Brian (bgood) has selected his five finalists for this topic. The finalists are:
    <h2>Update 2: Congratulation Adrian Mandea!! Great shot!
    </h2>

Adrian Mandea

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/2746.IMG_5F00_5889.jpg[/img]

Motivation: The color of the light in this one turns an everyday photo into one that is full of emotion and depth.

Rocco

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1000x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3757.IMG_5F00_9856.jpg[/img]

Motivation: This is a marvelous capture of the colors of light that the storm produced as well as the starlit sky above. Right place, right time, right photo.

ddt0725

Motivation: The color of the sunset is the star, but the geese provide the context to push it above any of the other sunsets

Kayaker72

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3302.Walk-IMG_5F00_2645.JPG[/img]

Motivation: The light in this one completely creates the emotion for me. It's an interesting picture without the spotlight, but with it I feel like I am stepping into search scene in a cops and robbers movie.

Erno James

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/640x427/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6305.lbrd.jpg[/img]

Motivation: I love how the tail lights add energy and movement to the shot. While not the subject of this contest, it is a great example of leading lines that take my eye into the photo and keep it there.

Again congratulations to all finalists! The poll will be open for 3 days!

Re: Assignment 24: It's all about the Light

One I just did and it literally took everything I had to climb up the rocks with my gear in the humidity. This hiking trip was all about capturing the light at sunset even though I was disappointed with the sky this evening. Park rules are that the state park closes 1 hour after sunset or your vehicle gets locked in for the evening. Something I will most likely never try again.

pinnacle mountain panorama by freelanceshots, on Flickr
    Last edited by freelanceshots; 01-06-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Dude! How did you go about doing the VR thing. A new post would be greatly appreciative.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hey Bryan that is way cool. For someone that couldn't find the latest post button[:$][], that is one of the best posts I have seen on this site.

I too would like a separate "method" post. Thanks for posting.[Y]
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

My equipment includes the 5D2 which is really needed, 15mm fisheye lens, a good tripod, a very expensive 360Precision Absolute head from the UK, PtGui Pro software, Pano2VR software and then about 3 months of trial and error. To tell you all the steps involved in the process would take me typing pages of info and for me that would take a couple of days. This VR and the flat image was a combination of 19 raw images (six images around x 3 diff exposures sets plus one down and three up if one chooses). All images are shot in a specific sequence where I had to redraw the center of the up view and the down view. PtGui blends them all together through its exposure fusion process with your set parameters but it could not recognize the up view because it could not find any control points in a blank sky. I had to fill in the blank hole at the top with is easier said then done to match the surrounding sky but I choose to identify myself there instead. At the bottom where the tripod is you have to redraw or take a handheld down shot at a shutter speed that you can hold and then manipulate/match/blend the final image together in photoshop and then import to VR using Pano2VR. It takes a lot of work, probably more work then most would be willing to do. I was kind of forced to buy all this equipment so that I could partake in a nice contract job that required us to have this specific stuff. There are others ways of getting similar results but this is by far one of the best setups.

I stepped out just now and the entire western sky is lit up red and pink with the clouds in a beautiful pattern across the sky. I'm blown always when this happens where my plans are to capture this someday. Right place at the right time. Man its hard to catch breaks.

Anyways forgot to say thanks for the nice comments!

Gah. Perfect topic for me. Not.

Not that I don
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

More lights. More night shots. Friends' bands with cool spotlighting effects. Even the roof of Hong Kong Airport gives good lighting effects from the right angle (and with the right amount of jetlag and sleep-deprivation).

If I don't upload something i'll go insane from searching.

My initial first thought when I saw the topic was the photo I took of xmas lights in Den Haag last year, if you look at the photos of my new computer I posted it's actually the desktop background in the shot. But then I saw this one nearby, and thought 'what the hell', let's bring something completely surreal and abstract to this assignment.

So I give you my dancing tree-lights, 7D, Lensbaby Muse with Double-Glass Optic.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/4617.IMG_5F00_3922s900x600.JPG[/img]

(to be honest, I'm not sure which was is meant to be 'up' in this shot. I like it this way though. And it's now my new desktop background too)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/2746.IMG_5F00_5889.jpg[/img]

i still dont know how to post without quoting the person on top so here it goes

Wow...Great pictures already.......a few from yesterday:

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]Entry (for now) 7D, 15-85 @15 mm, 1/400, f/22, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/0435.IMG_5F00_4578Light.JPG[/img]

For fun: 16 mm, 1/500, f/22, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/7853.IMG_5F00_4596Light.JPG[/img]