Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Lens

Canon Lens

Dear all from this community,
    I'm a brazilian dentist and on September 27th I
    will be in NY, and in this occasion I intend to accquirea brand
    newCanon Lens 24/105mm F4L IS USM in B&H. The seller personhave
    told me that they have three types of lens (canon USA, Canon import and a
    Canon lens "WHITE BOX" that is cheapper because it was part of a kit with body and lens together and now it is sold separately (in a WHITE BOX). I would like to ask you all if you guys could help me to clarify a doubt
    about these Canon lens. I wonder
    if this type of lens(White Box) hasthesame quality as the other ones.
    Do you know these types of lens? If you know, would you really recommend White
    Box Lens?

I'm truly gratefull for your help
    Best regards
    <span style="color: #888888;"]Otair Carvalho

Re: Canon Lens

Actually, there are four types:

1. USA

2. Import

3. USA White Box

4. Import White Box

All of them are the same quality - the only difference is warranty coverage and rebate eligibility. The "Import" versions don

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The "Import" versions don't have any "official" Canon warranty coverage, but the word on the street is that Canon will repair them under warranty just like the USA versions.

My understanding is that the Import version does not have a official canon US warranty but does have a canon warranty. My understanding is that if I need warranty work on an import lens that I may have to send it to Japan for repair.

Mark
    Mark

By the way, which camera body are you using? If you are using a full frame camera (5D, 5D II, 1Ds, 1Ds II, 1Ds III) or 1.3 crop body (1D, 1D II, 1D III, 1D IV) then the 24-105mm f/4 is an excelent choice, the 24-70mm f/2.8 is another fantastic lens. But if you are using a 1.6 crop (Rebel series, 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, ext) body the 17-55mm f/2.8 is considered the defecto for 1.6 crop bodies, sharper, faster aperture than the 24-105mm and has IS which the 24-70mm lacks. And for most people (myself included) a nicer focal length range.

Hope that helps,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    the 17-55mm f/2.8 is considered the defecto...

Haha, I presume you meant the 'de-facto'...?

At least you guys get the so-called 'white box' versions. I bought my efs 15-85 from fotokonijnenberg.nl (in shop, not web) as their so-called 'bulk' version (ex-kit), and all I got was some bubblewrap, no box, no manual. But then it left the shop attached to the camera, strap around my neck...

One other thing to check if you haven't already, if Brazil and the US are in the same warranty 'area' (ie, americas, and not split north/south).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Dear John

In fact I will buy the Canon 7D to use with the lens I told you but after your suggestion, that I appreciate a lot, I will take into consideration this nice piece of information.

Thank you very much

Otair

I read a lot of opinions that the 17-55 is a better general walk around range. But, I really wonder if I had only one lens how much I

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burkett

I read a lot of opinions that the 17-55 is a better general walk around range. But, I really wonder if I had only one lens how much I'd miss my 24-105. Admittedly I have the 17-40 mounted on my 7D as often as the 24-105 but I have a choice. I just wonder if I didn't have a choice how much I'd miss that extra focal length.

Alternatively, how much would you miss the 17-24mm range? I find that it's more often possible to take a few steps forward than a few steps back. Personally, if I had only a crop body and only one lens, I'd pick the EF-S 17-55mm. Even 105mm is short tele - I personally really like the combination of the 17-55mm and the 100-400mm for my 7D...

Whoops, I did meant de-facto. There is nothing defective about the 17-55mm. :-)

Cheers,

John.

Tell you a good news, I found a very good Recovery and delete the software, help you restore deleted all the documents and pictures, video, etc from CF Card Recovery

http://www.cfcardrecovery.com