Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Problem With Lens Envy

The Problem With Lens Envy

Just before my vacation this summer, I purchased a Canon 50 1.2L. Beyond just wanting a really fast prime lens, I bought this lens in anticipation of family shots around the campfire, nights on the beach or just sitting around the picnic table in the evening. Unfortunately most of those opportunities never came to be. I have taken some "test shots" around the house and this lens produces some "stunning" results. It has a very nice angle of view on the 7d---what I would consider near perfect for portraiture. The bokeh is phenominal and it is tack sharp when stopped down a notch or two. What I noticed most about this lens is the richness of color it produces. I think I got a a really good copy of this lens.

As most of you know, I don't normally photograph people, but just can't seem to come up with other subjects that this lens would do justice to. I am currently using it on my Wife's 400d as a general purpose walk around lens.---I know, there is just something wrong with that; So, I call out to the forum:

Any Ideas (other than people portraits) on how I can take advantage of this fantastic lens.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Bob

oops---put this on the wrong forum-----no, its not for sale.

Bob

Re: The Problem With Lens Envy

There may be 6 billion people in the world, but the number of non-people subjects is even greater. Every plant, every rock, every man-made object is your potential subject. How about a single weed in focus set against a backdrop of a perfectly manicured lawn? Or a row of bicycles next to a sea of parked cars? Or a single Chinese lantern out of a row of them? A field of wild grass in full seed, with just the first few stalks in focus? In all these cases, the thin DOF that the f/1.2 is capable of can help to focus attention on your subject while still allowing the background/foreground to contribute to the theme/story of the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    I am currently using it on my Wife's 400d as a general purpose walk around lens.---I know, there is just something wrong with that

Why is there something wrong with that? In my eyes it's actually a good thing. It will help you think more about the shot before you take it. At least that's how it works for me. I have shot figure-skating events a few times. Mostly using mainly the 70-200. However I also used a friends 200mm f2.8L prime for a day once and I found that I liked my shots a lot more. The framing was so much better and more exciting than with the zoom. I think that I personally tend to frame "safely" with a zoom, because I can crop afterwards... The results are not that exciting though and it's the question if you'd see the same exciting part when sorting out your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Any Ideas (other than people portraits) on how I can take advantage of this fantastic lens.

I wanted to say...try doing the things you normally do. Try using it for landscapes or go hiking with just the 50mm and see what you get at. Also try a walk trough the streets with it.

And one other thing that came into my mind was to take some videofootage with it.

I'm pretty much having the same dilemma as you. I have a fantastic Sigma 50mm 1.4, but still it remains in my bag pretty much...a lot of the time. As I said, I tend to be safe rather than to work for my images. I'm having the idea of a prime-day/weekend/week for a while now, but I still haven't done it. Perhaps it's something for you to consider as well.

Jan

First thing that popped into my head was night time street photography, but 80mm equivalant on a FF makes for a slightly tight srteet lens. But it is still great. Especially if there

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

There may be 6 billion people in the world, but the number of non-people subjects is even greater. Every plant, every rock, every man-made object is your potential subject. How about a single weed in focus set against a backdrop of a perfectly manicured lawn? Or a row of bicycles next to a sea of parked cars? Or a single Chinese lantern out of a row of them? A field of wild grass in full seed, with just the first few stalks in focus? In all these cases, the thin DOF that the f/1.2 is capable of can help to focus attention on your subject while still allowing the background/foreground to contribute to the theme/story of the photo.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Daniel, You have a way of making the obvious...well, obvious to us common folk--Great advice.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

I wanted to say...try doing the things you normally do. Try using it for landscapes or go hiking with just the 50mm and see what you get at. Also try a walk trough the streets with it.

And one other thing that came into my mind was to take some videofootage with it.

Jan, Both great suggestions---in fact, I have a video project I have been working on for a about a year-----This would be a great lens for some of that project----Thanks a bunch.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

First thing that popped into my head was night time street photography, but 80mm equivalant on a FF makes for a slightly tight srteet lens. But it is still great. Especially if there's snow!

John.

John, the wife and I often take walks at night---what a great idea. Thanks

I guess I have been so focused on my Hummingbirds lately, I forgot about the rest of the world---Hmmmm, maybe i'll try it on my H-birds as well, they are pretty tolerant of close equipment.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

Bob
    Bob

If you want, you can give it to me and I
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

If you want, you can give it to me and I'll find a use for it! :P This and the 85mm 1.2 have been on my list for a while now.

Hmmmm Rocco, Let me think about that[*-)]----Auh, Hmmm, Nope-Can't do It. I Tell you what, You get the 85 1.2 and we can swap back and forth[]

Bob
    Bob

I've had my 70-300L almost glued on my 7D since I got it (except to disconnect for putting extension tubes in), and i've almost forgotten I had a 15-85 for landscapes. When I go hiking these days, i'm sick of the weight, and mostly chase birds, so I just take the 70-300L and nothing else.

But then I run across a nice looking lanscape, a nice view, whatever. 70mm is not as wide as 50mm, and nowhere near as wide as 15mm. But i'm still getting some really good looking landscapy shots at 70mm. I've also just gone out at nights with the nifty-fifty 1.8 on, the tighter framing actually makes for some different perspectives, makes me think a lot more about the shot rather than just happy-snapping, i'm probably getting an 85/1.8 as my next canon-brand lens for another challenge.

For an example, compare the following shots, Nathan Road in Hong Kong (Kowloon side). First is a typical landscapy-shot, 35mm on 7D, f/7.1, kinda boring.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/10/4188.IMG_5F00_0203s900x600.JPG[/img]

Now compare that to the next one. OK, i cheated with the 15-85 (before i bought my niftyfifty actually), but f=57mm so near enough. f/10, but imagine if it were at f/1.2 or nearly as fast. you could have the purple water character ? sign in focus and the rest progressively more blurred. Or you could just stop down and have the whole lot in focus like I had.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/10/3252.IMG_5F00_0207s900x600.JPG[/img]

Personally, I really like the tighter perspective on this shot, it was on my shortlist for the 'light' assignment this week.

Basically, my advice would be just stick it on your camera and walk around with it, leave the zooms at home, and you'll learn to spot better perspectives after a while...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos