Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbished vs. New

Refurbished vs. New

Does anyone have any experiencebuying refurbished items from the Canon Direct Store? I am wondering if it is worth the extra $500 to buy a brand new 5D Mark II or if I would be better off buying a refurbished one instead and using the savings to upgrade my 50mm 1.8 to the 1.4

Thanks, Chris

Re: Refurbished vs. New

Buy the Refurb! I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi Chris,

Earlier this year I bought my EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens from Canon and it is great. In fact, other than the ginormous Canon refurbished box it came in, you would be hard pressed to tell it from a new copy. Mine still had the Canon date code (not the new ten digit serial number) and although I do not remember it off the top of my head, it was like six months from production when I got it. I take very good care of my gear, and as of today if I placed it next to a brand new one, you would be guessing which one is which.

In short, save the $500 towards some glass to go with it. In addition, if you call in your order rather than order online the sales rep will generally ship it for free, a little more towards the glass. You need to decide fast though, because since the earthquake/tsunami the 5D II is one of the bodies that goes out of stock as fast as they come in. In addition, if the 50mm f/1.4 is next on your wish list, as I type this they have it in stock for $319.99. Actually, currently they have a very nice assortment of glass available -- right now, including the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, the 70-200 f/4 IS the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4. By this time tomorrow, most will be "out of stock".

Happy shopping,

Chris

I

When I want to buy something, I first try craigslist, then photography forums, then vendor used selections (B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc.), then refurb. Finally, if I can

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

When I want to buy something, I first try craigslist, then photography forums, then vendor used selections (B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc.), then refurb. Finally, if I can't find it anywhere else, I buy new. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Many times, I find the refurb items direct from Canon to be to the same as or cheaper than the used selections from trusted retailers like B&amp;H, Adorama, and KEH.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    When I want to buy something, I first try craigslist, then photography forums, then vendor used selections (B&amp;H, Adorama, KEH, etc.), then refurb. Finally, if I can't find it anywhere else,

This seems like a logical course:
    1. Craigslist: The local thieves and fences unloading the stolen gear. Photographers unloading their bad gear for cash knowing they will never see you again.
    2. Photography Forums: Someone unloading their gear that doesn't focus right, has quality issues or is just plain worn out.
    3. Vendors: Over priced used gear that at least comes with a return policy if you find it falls incatagory 2.
    4. Refurbs from Canon: Manufacture rebuilt it to their own specs. It was a screwed up piece of junk before, now maybe it works right. They give you a 3 month warranty, they would give you 4 months but they know how long it will last.
    5. New: Costs the most and if it doesn't work, by gosh they are going to get it back.

Caveat Emptor

4.5 Canon refurb from Adorama. Just like the refurb from Canon, but Adorama extends the warranty to a full year, just like new, because they really aren
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

HDNitehawk, you had me in stitches!

Thanks for the input guys! I just ordered the refurbished 5D Mark II! It should arrive on Tuesday. Longest 6 days of my life....