Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is photography a profession, hobby or obsession for you?

Re: Is photography a profession, hobby or obsession for you?

HDNitehawk

Please read the following link.

http://www.whattheduck.net/strip/rss.xml

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I have always had obsessions. I dive into the fire head first and see where I end up. Almost always it's fleeting. I have dabbled in graphic design, website design, programming, I.T., calligraphy, sculpting, graphite portraits, paintball, golf, running, mountain biking, writing, even went so far as to read classic american literature in chronological order, writing an essay on the "great conversation" and how they all touched on the subjects of the author's time. I have excelled at most of my endeavors but I get distracted so easily.. And then there was photography.

I'm hooked. It seems to be a huge pot, of which I'll never scrape the bottom. The technological advances alone mean that you'll always be learning, then there's the pleasing reminder with every shoot that basic principals and techniques are still demanding attention regardless of how neat my camera or equipment is. I can't.. stop. It is a medium that feeds every aspect of my brain, the creative, the logical, I get to geek out on gear, I expose myself to mountainous surroundings that I never would have before (still thinking about that lightning storm with all those stars). Post production touches on my graphic design background, and I'm building myself a website to boot. My absolute favorite thing about photography is the state of mind it puts me in. I'm at peace, everything slows down. I can breathe and appreciate how beautiful everything is. So I suppose it touches my spiritual side as well.

Most definitely an obsession, though I'm getting a lot more commissions the longer I shoot. Here's hoping. []
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Raid

HDNitehawk

Please read the following link.

http://www.whattheduck.net/strip/rss.xml

Your link is broken. Hilarious though.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/2577.WTD1284.gif[/img]

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Raid... Funny... yet so real []

Ahaha Raid so so true. I was shooting a wedding a couple of months back and one lady there said to the bride in a huff, "I would have been able to get some great photos for you but that photographer guy kept getting in the way".

She was one of those people that had just bought a new body and lens kit and thought she was the next best thing. Luckily I was good friends with the bride and she replied something along the lines of "Well I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Wow, DD great question; but I am surprised at most of the answers. As most others have stated in on form or the other, photography can be a hobby, a profession or an obsession.....but those are all pretty narrow definitions. If someone plays a Guitar, would you ask them to limit the definition of thier art to one of those three words? How about a painter or someone who rides motorcycles or builds wood furniture by hand? It would be difficult to narrow the driving force of those talents, why would photography be any different? I did try and think of one word that describes my passion for photography, but couldn
    Bob

I love how everyone is responding to this thread! I have lots of reading to catch up on! I was just able to quickly scan thru the last few entries but I will go back and read them more thoroughly tomorrow. I am dealing with a very sick dog tonight

I would LOVE to have my grandbaby for overnight or a weekend but unfortunately my daughter would never go for that One of the reasons being, she really does not like dogs! How this happened I will NEVER figure out since I am an over the top dog lover (another obsession) and my other children love dogs too ...and to be honest, so do my grandchildren! But she will not let my older granddaughter go near them except when she sneaks her little fingers thru the gate! Shhh ...don't tell her mom! LOL!

Today, I received "professional" photos of my new granddaughter in the mail! All I could think of was, with everything everyone here taught me on an earlier thread about taking newborn photos, I could have done that and better!

Congratulation Denise..... Krista Joy looks beautiful.

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Wow, DD great question; but I am surprised at most of the answers. As most others have stated in on form or the other, photography can be a hobby, a profession or an obsession.....but those are all pretty narrow definitions. If someone plays a Guitar, would you ask them to limit the definition of thier art to one of those three words? How about a painter or someone who rides motorcycles or builds wood furniture by hand? It would be difficult to narrow the driving force of those talents, why would photography be any different? I did try and think of one word that describes my passion for photography, but couldn't.----Well, I suppose "Passion" would be a close one for me. I also thought about the word "pasttime" but that really isn't true either, because photography is so much more to me than just passing time. Since I started this, I certainly understand more than I did 3 years ago, of course "theory to practice" is still a challenge, but isn't that what it is all about, the journey. Almost every time I pick up the camera, I learn something new and I love that feeling. So for me, I guess its the process as much as the final product that I enjoy. Though i stiill have much to learn, Photography has made me a much more observant guest on this planet. 3 years ago I couldn't tell you the difference between a common sparrow and a house finch, I didn't know the difference between a sandhill crane and a great blue heron, I didn't know that the moon travels its own diameter every 3 minutes (about)---Since reading, watching and doing, I have learned so much more than "photography" and that I can't define with one word. I suppose I could ramble on, but don't cut yourself short by trying to define this path to one of your friends or loved ones or even to yourself---just sit back and enjoy the ride. As all my Harley friends say " If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway"

I have rambled on enough so I'll close with this last tid-bit:

Tell your daughter to give up that grandbaby for the weekend, and let you take some pictures, put some sunglasses on that baby, set up your lights, and shoot away---You take pictures in the house, at the zoo, in the backyard or wherever else the mood strikes you ---This time will never come again so why not capture it.

Just my two cents worth

Bob
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Well said Bob. Thanks[]

Mark
    Mark

Denise

Did she get her Grandma's hair color....that is a cute little girl...

And of course you could have taken better pictures...