Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryan, Why do you do this to me?

Bryan, Why do you do this to me?

"B&H has the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV in stock. Add the 1D IV to your cart now and check out at 8:15 PM EDT tonight when B&H reopens for orders." Why, why, why? Recently I have been content with my kit--I do have lots of good stuff---But deep down inside, I really, really want the 1DIV, but...Like I said, I have been content knowing thata new1DIV has beenOut of stock or difficult to get ---Now just about the time a I am fairly happy, Bryan goes and shows us this. And for only $4999 it too can be mine After the 500mm and the 50 f1.2 this year, I think it is best to keep the wallet closed and not even hint to the wife that I am considering the 1DIV-She would probably make me sleep in my doghouse blind that is currently set up in the back yard. (Hmmm, wonder what kind of deal I could get on a second mortgage?). I have no real purpose for this post other than to vent to someone who might understand---Please forgive me.

Seriously, Bryan noted some good deals on the Canon refurb site--and he is correct, several really good deals on lenses. So if your in the market, check out Canons refurb site.

Bob
    Bob

Re: Bryan, Why do you do this to me?

[]

You just had to go and bring that up, didn't you, Bob... I keep talking myself out of the 1DIV. I'm trying to hold out for a forthcoming difficult decision - 500L or 1DsIV (when it comes). I'm sure you recall that wallet of mine...well, it's pretty fat, not quite to 500L thickness yet (and 4 bills down from the PowerShot S100 that I just pre-ordered), but there's just enough in there to cover a 1DIV.

RESIST. DO NOT CLICK <span style="color: #0000ff;"]BUY. Or so I keep telling myself...

Good luck!

yhea, i have been craving for the 1DIV for long time.not spending too much on the body has been my bottom line. i couldn

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I keep talking myself out of the 1DIV.

Keep Talking to yourself John, the 1D IV is the only thing I have that you don't, you are a hard man to keep up with. The 1Ds IV is going to be beyond my wallet for some time, although I do covet one.

DO NOT CLICK <span style="color: #0000ff;"]BUY. Or so I keep telling myself...

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    i should have got it when i had chance for 4 grand.

Seriously, John and JJ, if you can do it go for it. I must have missed the 4 grand sale, but I was debating last November (after wanting one since the announcement) if I could justify the price and I took the plunge. I am glad I did. the 1D IV is awesome! The shots I got during this summer's soccer season justified my purchase. I cannot compare it to the 7D as I have never shot a frame with one. Maybe you guys will do the comparison. I find John's tests very insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    the only thing i can do now is keep asking myself
    take better pictures with the 7D/500mm untill good enough that worth the
    upgrade

I will not say you can take better pictures with it, there are many TDP members taking outstanding images with Rebel series bodies. That is the carpenter vs. the hammer argument. What you will get is different capabilities, the first one being the speed with which you can shoot fast moving sports -- my personal main concern. I also used my 1D IV instead of my 5D II for my daughter's dance recital this year because it focuses better/faster in low light. As far as image quality, that is more in your hands. The 7D yields great results by all accounts I have seen. I recently put an album together of @400 images from our summer and I used my 50D, 5D II and 1D IV with various glass for all those images. No one looking at this album even considered asking if I used different bodies, the images were all equally good.

I will add that in order to get the high speed bursts you need the fast CF cards. I use the SanDisk ExtremePro and Lexar Professional 600x 90MB/s cards and I do not have any issues. I have used the 400x 60MB/s versions I have on occasion, but I will hit the buffer with them. If I am shooting sports I make sure I have the fast cards in.

I was thinking this summer of starting a discussion on "If you could only Have One body, Which One?" I may still do that this fall, but for now for me the short answer is my 1D IV. If you go for it, you will not regret it.

Chris

EDITED: corrected incorrect memory card speed rating

Bob,

I am sorry I did not mean to leave you out, especially since you first raised the question. See my post above, and then hit the <span style="color: #0000ff;"]BUY<span style="color: #0000ff;"]. I just checked, B&amp;H still has them available. ;P

My personal view is if you will use it and you can afford it, get it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White

Bob,

I am sorry I did not mean to leave you out, especially since you first raised the question. See my post above, and then hit the <span style="COLOR: #0000ff"]BUY<span style="COLOR: #0000ff"]. I just checked, B&amp;H still has them available. ;P

Chris
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

No problem Chris. I also checked out B&amp;H thisAM hoping they would be sold out----They were not which further tempted me.....But I must control myself, I must, I must , I must..........I have nice glass, accessories etc and the 7D is an awesome body so I will hold out for now and let the wife splurge a little. (thats been our little secret)---I got my 500 this year and she got her beach house vacation at about the same cost---Next year she want's to go to the Tetons and Yellowstone---maybe that will be my leverage for the 1DIV

Wish me luck,

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Bob,

I am sorry I did not mean to leave you out, especially since you first raised the question. See my post above, and then hit the <span style="color: #0000ff;"]BUY<span style="color: #0000ff;"]. I just checked, B&amp;H still has them available. ;P

Chris
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

No problem Chris. I also checked out B&amp;H thisAM hoping they would be sold out----They were not which further tempted me.....But I must control myself, I must, I must , I must..........I have nice glass, accessories etc and the 7D is an awesome body so I will hold out for now and let the wife splurge a little. (thats been our little secret)---I got my 500 this year and she got her beach house vacation at about the same cost---Next year she want's to go to the Tetons and Yellowstone---maybe that will be my leverage for the 1DIV

Wish me luck,

Bob

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bob,

Let's face it, it is usually glass, glass, glass. That is mentioned in many body vs. lens querries for advise. In addition at 8fps, the 7D is no slouch either. I was starting for scratch for the sports shooter and was able to grab the 1D IV. For me it was the right choice. And a lot of what I see you shoot is wildlife/landscape, I do not know if you need the extra frame rates or burst. However, soccer for 10U and up -- my slowest class has moved to girls 12U, I use the 10fps and the buffer. Those girls play intense and they move.

And if you and the wife have nice comprise going, why ruin it? It sounds like a good "everyone is happy" deal, and those are the best for a long happy relationship.

I am grabbing my T1i -- my P/S option -- and taking the family and a few friends to the closing day of our local amusement park. That is the main purpose for my photography at this time. I know it is not the most exciting, but it means a lot to me and mine. That is what it is all about, the happiness part.

Good luck choosing what is best for you,

Chris

You just had to go and bring that up, didn't you, Bob... I keep talking myself out of the 1DIV. I'm trying to hold out for a forthcoming difficult decision - 500L or 1DsIV (when it comes). I'm sure you recall that wallet of mine...well, it's pretty fat, not quite to 500L thickness yet (and 4 bills down from the PowerShot S100 that I just pre-ordered), but there's just enough in there to cover a 1DIV.

RESIST. DO NOT CLICK <span style="color:#0000ff;"]BUY. Or so I keep telling myself...

Good luck!

You may not be looking at this the right way John....

The 1D IV will replace your 7D

The 1Ds IV will replace your 5D II

This is my plan, provided the 1Ds IV isn't $11,000 which it vary well may be. Sell my two 5D's and 24-70mm and put the money towards a 1Ds IV if it is ever released...hopefully without a 35% markup over the old version this will make sense. If it is to expensive it will make a new 5D III / 1D IV kit look allot better.

All this is speculation of course, talking about things that do not exist in the market yet.

A person needs both a 1D IV and a 1Ds IV, this kind of thinking will keep wallets thin

I will not say you can take better pictures with it, there are many TDP members taking outstanding images with Rebel series bodies. That is the carpenter vs. the hammer argument.

I will take the hammer over the carpenter point of view on this one. The 1D IV is going to improve the pictures of a person with limited skills. WHY? The AF system of the 1D IV is superior to the 7D and 5D II, so the keeper rate of the person with limited skills is going to increase. Second the pics out of the 1D IV require less work in post processing than a 7D's, so a person with limited PP skills will have pics which require less work.

At a certain time of my life I claimed "carpenter" as my profession. As a carpenter you want the best tools despite your skill level, Better tools make it easier to build with. The same goes for camera equipment, better tools make it easier. It won't make you a master carpenter though.

The 1D IV is a worthy upgrade. Is it worth $3500 more than the 7D though? I think everyone's answer would vary depending on their situation. My answer was yes, but more peoples answer would be no.