Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Wide Angle lens recommendation for Canon T3i

Ultra Wide Angle lens recommendation for Canon T3i

Hi there.

I recently bought a Canon T3i and I would like to get an ultra wide lens for it in the near future, therefore i am doing some research. I am fairly new in the topic so i would appreciate all help.

My first big dilemma is whether i should go for an EF-S or an L lens ? Since the T3i is not a full body I am not sure whether investing in an L series lens even makes sense ? Currently i have two lenses in mind, the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens.

Can someone give me some hints which choice would be more logical ? My approach is the wider the better and quality over price (in a reasonable range).

Thanks a lot

Re: Ultra Wide Angle lens recommendation for Canon T3i

The 17-40 is not much wider than the 18-55 kit lens, which you likely came with your camera. If you are simply looking for a better lens in that range for a APS-C camera, you would be much better off with the 17-55 f2.8.

If, however, you want a wide angle, you want something on the wide end at 12mm or less. The only Canon-branded option is the 10-22. There are, also a number of third-party ultra-wide lenses which you might want to consider as well.

I have the 10-22 and love it. Since I do a lot of hiking and like to get wide panoramas it was the first lens I added to my kit.

-joe

Quote Originally Posted by Pegabee
    ...<span>the T3i is not a full body ...Currently i have two lenses in mind, the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens...<span>My approach is the wider the better and quality over price (in a reasonable range)

Correct - the T3i uses an APS-C sensor with a 1.6x crop factor. Lens focal lengths don't take that into account, so the 10-22mm will be a lot wider than the 17-40mm. Also, the 10-22mm will deliver better optical quality - it's the optical equal of many L-series lenses, although the build quality is less. FWIW, 17mm on your camera is equivalent to 27mm on FF, that's wide angle, but not ultrawide (usually defined as wider than 24mm). So, of your two choices, only the 10-22mm is actually ultrawide.

If you want a UWA zoom for APS-C, you really have no reasonable choice but one of the EF-S/DC/etc. lenses that are specifically designed for APS-C cameras. It's a pretty crowded space, though. I think the top three options in that arena are the Canon 10-22mm, the Tokina 11-16mm (shorter range, but constant f/2.8), and the new Sigma 8-16mm. Of those, I've only used the Canon 10-22mm, and I found it to be an excellent lens.

I initially purchased the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I had major focusing issues with two different copies of the lens. I returned the second copy and purchased the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 instead. I

sigma 10-20 f/3.5, sigma 10-20 4.5-5.6, canon 10-22mm would be my picks

Im very happy with the 10-22
    Bob

I
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I have the Canon EF-S 10-22mm on a 7D and I love it!

Rich

I am relatively new to the world of DSLRs and ultra wide lenses. I own the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and love it. It

Have you shot ultrawide before? I