Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Photo Organizer do you Use

Which Photo Organizer do you Use

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I have for many years used Photoshop Elements. The main reason I started buying this package was that it had a good photo editor and organizer (Edit Versions, Photo Stacks, Tags, EXIF and Mapping) all built in. This is somethinga Nerd like me must have, I mustkeep things organized.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]PSE 9 has a problem stuffing up Camera Raw shot time. It now looks like the solution to the problem is to buy an upgrade to PSE10 (can anybody else see a similarity with Microsoft).<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Last year before Adobe introduced the shot time bug, I was thinking of moving to Lightroom. As this package is said to have a better organizer, that Adobe does support, and keep PSE just for editing. I checked with the forums and have been informed that LR will not import all data from PSE organizer. I have also found out the LR has the same import time bug, provide by Adobe a few months earlier, no doubt it too will be fixed in the next release, if you are happy to pay for an upgrade.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I have had enough of Adobe not supporting its products, so w<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]hat I need to know is what other photo editor &amp; organizers are available. <o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Re: Which Photo Organizer do you Use

I use Apple Aperture 3 for library management (and DxO for RAW conversions, CS5 for editing).

What do you mean by "<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: x-small;"]stuffing up Camera Raw shot time"?
    Mark

I haven't ran into any problems using LR + CS5 for editing. Do I mis something?

+1 Jan Paalman
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I use Apple Aperture 3 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I've seen it get locked (frozen) up too. I'm not sure if you're using Apple or Microsoft?

I also have LR3 and I like it as well. I would think that LR3 would be a nice step-up from Adobe Photoshop elements. However, I'm not sure about the bug issue that you mentioned. I also like the lens sorting feature and watermark feature that LR3 offers.

They're both great and I wouldn't have any qualms about recommending either one. I think that LR3 has a little more flexibility.

All software can act up at one time or another, it just seems to be the nature of the beast.

Good Luck,

Rich

I have been running Light Room for two years, currently have LR3---No problems, Love it

Bob
    Bob

Lightroom.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If you have Adobe Camera Raw 6.4 or later and you import your photos from the CF card to PSE or LR, ACR with add your Timezone to the shot time on RAW images only. If you shoot in only JPG it doesn&rsquo;t do anything. If your Timezone is 0 (you live in England), you don&rsquo;t see a problem. My Timezone is +10 so it adds 10 hours to the shot time. Many users don&rsquo;t notice this but anybody who shoots in both RAW &amp; JPG will see that the images are no longer grouped in the organizer. As I shoot in RAW only, I didn&rsquo;t notice until I went to Geotag <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]my images and found that they were all stored in a directory with tomorrows date.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]The official Adobe reason for the problem:<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]&ldquo;changes were made in ACR 6.4 to bring it into closer compliance with the Metadata Working Group standards, and this caused Elements to miscalculate the time value for RAW assets running through the ACR pipeline.&rdquo;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]The official Adobe work around is: <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]&ldquo;Installation of the 6.4 update to Camera RAW is what caused the time shift in PSE; you can 'downgrade' to the previous Camera RAW plugin, or manually shift the time by &ldquo;x&rdquo; hours using the Adjust Date and Time feature in the Organizer.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Unless you have a camera that is supported in the 6.4 list, I don't think you would notice a degradation in features if you did move back to an earlier version of the ACR plugin.&rdquo;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]This first occurred in LR last year and a few months later it was propagated to PSE. Adobe only acknowledged the problem 2 months ago, they just closed any cases that users opened. Adobe said that they will need to make a change to LR and PSE is correct the problem. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]So for me I need to spend $113 for an upgrade to PSE 10.<o></o>
    <span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<font face="Calibri"]
    </font>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid

<span lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If you have Adobe Camera Raw 6.4 or later and you import your photos from the CF card to PSE or LR, ACR with add your Timezone to the shot time on RAW images only. If you shoot in only JPG it doesn&rsquo;t do anything. If your Timezone is 0 (you live in England), you don&rsquo;t see a problem. My Timezone is +10 so it adds 10 hours to the shot time. Many users don&rsquo;t notice this but anybody who shoots in both RAW &amp; JPG will see that the images are no longer grouped in the organizer. As I shoot in RAW only, I didn&rsquo;t notice until I went to Geotag <span>my images and found that they were all stored in a directory with tomorrows date.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size: small;"]
    <span lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size: small;"]

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have never noticed this issue but I have never had my raw &amp; jpgs in the same folder.

I always hated PSE organizer because I could not sort by file name. I began using FastStone image viewer. I have since upgraded to PS CS5. I have not liked Bridge. I find while viewing my images they appear soft. In PSE organizer and in FastStone they appear sharp but in bridge the appear soft.

Mark
    Mark