Thread: Which Body should I go for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Which Body should I go for?

Thanks for your feedback guys! Yesterday I took the time to reply to all of you because each of you have submitted some very valuable information and pieces of the puzzle. There are also some further questions I

What if you dropped back to a used 50D? Still get a massive update in the body from a 30D standpoint. Good magnesium housing, better noise, AFMA, and still cheap enough to afford another lens.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Partly because the 50D is not that much cheaper. I have played a little bit and taken some noise comparisons and the new 18mp sensor is quite an upgrade and worth the few hundred extra dolars. Since speed is not really a priority the 60D is a very nice camera if you want 1.6.

John.

Typically my advice to anyone wanting to invest a few more dollars into their equipment would be to put the money towards glass rather than the body. But for me the glass is already pretty good so the aim now is to capitalize on the lens with a good body. Unfortunately no amount of skill or training will reduce the noise, and the only way to increase the megapixels for landscapes is to stitch my images.

Although I love the idea of using strobes, they just don

Hi William. In comparing the 7D to the 5DII you may also want to refer to some tests John/Neuro did a few months back:

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../5926.aspx

On page 2 there is a noise test.

William, I think the point John (Fast Glass) was making was that you gain ~1.33 stop of ISO with the 5DII, and you

Neuro beat me to it!

The exposure will not be the same but the noise is 1 1/3 stops better so you can increase the ISO without a noise penalty. Just as Neuro already said, just wanted to make sure your with me. :-) But because the aperture is 1 1/3 stops slower it

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Hi William. In comparing the 7D to the 5DII you may also want to refer to some tests John/Neuro did a few months back:

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../5926.aspx

On page 2 there is a noise test.

It always seems that body comparison threads start the same way. A Page of general comparisons then it isinevitable, it turns in to several pages of technical discussion on Noise.

One of the things I did not like about the 7D using it with the 500mm, it seemed I was always fighting for light. What I mean by this, I didn't like getting the ISO to high. Often wildlife shots are in less than ideal lighting situations. So I found myself shooting slower shutter speeds to keep the ISO down, then the shutter speed would be to slow. With the shutter speed slow, say at 1/500 it gets really hard to "hand hold" the lens even with IS and get a good sharp picture. That said this is one of the things I really like about the 1D IV, it doesn't feel like I am fighting for shutter speed as much. It makes the 1.6 vs 1.3 crop factor loss a forgotten issue.

The 7D just doesn't handle the higher ISO's as well as the 5D II or the 1D IV. I still stick by my conspiracy theory(which is...the 7D is dumbed down somewhat with the firm ware). Part may or may not be the sensor depending on who's opinion you read.

1D IV, two 5D II's and a 7D. Your alucky man! :-)

Cheers,

John.