Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Body should I go for?

Re: Which Body should I go for?

Neuro beat me to it!

The exposure will not be the same but the noise is 1 1/3 stops better so you can increase the ISO without a noise penalty. Just as Neuro already said, just wanted to make sure your with me. :-) But because the aperture is 1 1/3 stops slower it

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Hi William. In comparing the 7D to the 5DII you may also want to refer to some tests John/Neuro did a few months back:

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../5926.aspx

On page 2 there is a noise test.

It always seems that body comparison threads start the same way. A Page of general comparisons then it isinevitable, it turns in to several pages of technical discussion on Noise.

One of the things I did not like about the 7D using it with the 500mm, it seemed I was always fighting for light. What I mean by this, I didn't like getting the ISO to high. Often wildlife shots are in less than ideal lighting situations. So I found myself shooting slower shutter speeds to keep the ISO down, then the shutter speed would be to slow. With the shutter speed slow, say at 1/500 it gets really hard to "hand hold" the lens even with IS and get a good sharp picture. That said this is one of the things I really like about the 1D IV, it doesn't feel like I am fighting for shutter speed as much. It makes the 1.6 vs 1.3 crop factor loss a forgotten issue.

The 7D just doesn't handle the higher ISO's as well as the 5D II or the 1D IV. I still stick by my conspiracy theory(which is...the 7D is dumbed down somewhat with the firm ware). Part may or may not be the sensor depending on who's opinion you read.

1D IV, two 5D II's and a 7D. Your alucky man! :-)

Cheers,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

1D IV, two 5D II's and a 7D. Your alucky man! :-)

Cheers,

John.

I gave the 7D to my brother a few months back...he is the lucky one. I had to buy mine. I really need to sell my backup 5D....it is a bit excessive.

I read your review Neuro, nice work and very informative. I'm now squarely wedged on the horns of a dilemma, but at least I'm a lot better informed and feel more confident in my decision making. Thanks again to everyone who had some input. Cheers : )

Any further comments welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by William
    Any further comments welcome.

7D has a lot better AF system than the 5DII, and the 5DII has a better overall IQ. if I were you, I will go to check if the ISO performance of 7D is acceptable. if it's not, than no choice, have to pick the 5DII.(or 5DI)

I used to think the 7D is very noisy, but after I learned how to reduce noise by getting the "best exposure" when taking the picture and in PP, noise has become a minor issue.

BTW, 5DII is selling for $1999.99 new on www.henrys.com. I believe the prices of camera bodies should be down since the new camera body is coming out with some new tech.

here is the shot I took using 7D with 1.4X TC, ISO2500,1/8000

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/3666.IMG_5F00_1183_2D00_1.jpg[/img]

do you think the noise is acceptable? maybe 60D is better choice since it has the same senor as the 7D, just my 2 cents.