Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I handle this?

How should I handle this?

I am wondering if I should chalk this up to a bad first experience or if I can somehow make good of a bad situation!

I stopped to shoot at a small lake after work and this lady walked up behind me and said, "Excuse me, will it ruinthe shots you are trying to get if I let my dog swim in the water?" Being the dog lover that I am I was thrilled! I took a number of shots of the dog running in and out of the water after "Mr. Chuckie" ...his water toy! This dog was super friendly and absolutely loved to swim! I had never seen a happier dog!

We talked alittle bit about me wanting to get into pet photography and she gave me her email address to send her some photos.

I thought I would send her one or two and load the rest up on my website for her to purchase if she wanted. Well, now that I am looking at the shots on my computer ...they stink!! It was really getting dark and cloudy so my settings were not at all good.

Anyway, should I just let it go? Send her one or two? I know I will be seeing her again at the same spot since we both frequent it at the same time of day. I could tell her I'd like to try again with the better lighting. I hate losing out on the chance at my first real experience shooting for someone when this could lead to somethingbut of course I don't want to pass out bad photos either!

I haven't gone thru all of the photos yet since it is really late. Maybe tomorrow with a fresh mind, I will be able to do some better post-processing and get a few that I could put on my website. She said she wouldn't mind if I just added them to my portfolio.

Here are a few I did tonight. Any suggestions or advice?

Re: How should I handle this?

I am sure she will like these you have here. I often get back from a wedding and do not like what I see. The next day they seem better.

Hopefully they will look better to you tomorrow.

I really like the first one.

Mark
    Mark

Thanks, Mark! I sure hope things look better tomorrow!

I wish I wouldn

Hi Denise. "Suggestions", yes....I suggest you keep doing what you

I agree with the previous comments - you're being overly critical of yourself, the shots are nice. My personal preference for the third shot (which is lovely by the way) would be an even tighter crop, balancing out the 'chopped off foot' as you put it!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8371.6177144196_5F00_e3fc6e09a8_5F00_z.jpg[/img]

Saying that, a very narrow format like that might be better for web displays than printing, it's your call.

Hi Denise, you are a very hard marker. As a dog owner I would be very happy with these three shots. The first one shows the dog in his element. The second one shows your skills at creating a special interpretation of the dog.

As for a potential sale, I would email her downsized versions of the first two with your watermark and offer her the opportunity of making a booking to re-shoot.

This shows your professionalism and gives you the chance to take the shots you really want to take.

Nice work on these, I really like the contrast on the second one.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Don
    Mark

First of all, I like the photos. But more importantly, I am sure they are either better than anything she has or at least a very welcome addition. Personally, unless the two of you had discussed her buying photos, I would probably give her copies of the pics.

BTW, you may want to set up an email account just for sending photos to random people so that they do not have access to your regular email. Just a paranoid thought.

Quick related story, my first digital camera was a Canon S45. Around 2003 my wife and I went to a dog competition. To pass the time, I got as close to one of the hurdles as I could and started to snap away (pre-focusing, trying to anticipate the shot, etc). Anyways, I ended up snapping a shot of one of her clients (my wife is a veterinarian) which we gave to the client. The client/dog owner had never even tried to take a picture like I had, blew it up and was very appreciative. And that was from an S45. My point being is that non-photographers often really appreciate good photos.....

BTW...here is the pic.....

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/3782.IMG_5F00_0488.JPG[/img]

Wow, first, I love digital and how easily I can go back and find the image...but also, now that I am more into this...I would have probably deleted this as the focus point is all wrong....but again, they loved it.

Thanks for all the advice and comments! I am pretty tough on myself and I can spot every detail wrong with these and I know I could have done so much better! Wrong lens, too much noise, etc ...etc!!

We did not discuss paying for them that is why I thought maybe send her one or two freebies (especially due to quality) and then put one or two (if I can come up with that many) on my website for her to buy. We did talk about my website & my business cards (she suggested vet clinics to place them at (if I ever get them done)). So she is aware of my professional career intent but also that I am just starting.

The only thing I don't like about my website and putting them there is I have my profit pretty much darn close to $0 because mpix prices are so high ...they come as quite a sticker shock to people that are used to their local Walmart printing their p&s shots! But at least she would have more options on how to have it printed. And it will give her a chance to see my other photos If she doesn't buy, maybe she'll pass the word on ...and on ...and on!

What do you think of this one & the watermark? I'm not sure yet whether I will include it in these that I email or not. I never applied a watermark before so not sure I did this right but at least I got it in there! With this taken solate in the evening with dark clouds overhead, I'm please with how much I was able to brighten it but not sure if I ruined it at the same time! Is it me or does it seem like alot of CA?

Sorry for the long read above!