Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a bad pixel in my new 50D! What now??

Found a bad pixel in my new 50D! What now??

So, zoomed into a picture, I just noticed a purple pixle, and it's in the same exact place in every picture.

Is that worth sending it back? I mean, it's a $1300 camera, that seems like something that you don't want....a bad pixel.

What do you guys think?

Re: Found a bad pixel in my new 50D! What now??

It's hot pixels (dead pixel) you find this in every camera. It's more or less there. Nothing you can do about it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/index.htm

UPDATE:

Guess what? I just put it into manual sensor cleaning mode, left it for like 30 seconds, shut it off, turned it back on, bad pixel is gone. Sweet!

Still, anyone with experience with having and getting rid of bad/hot pixels I'd not mind hearing about it.

That is exactly what you do. It's called remapping the sensor. Also, Long Exposure Noise Reduction takes care of the problem in exposures over 1 second. What it does is take the picture, then takes a picture without opening the shutter, finds the hot pixels, and erases them from the image. Very handy!

One pixel out of millions and millions, not too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg

That is exactly what you do. It's called remapping the sensor. Also, Long Exposure Noise Reduction takes care of the problem in exposures over 1 second. What it does is take the picture, then takes a picture without opening the shutter, finds the hot pixels, and erases them from the image. Very handy!

One pixel out of millions and millions, not too bad...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ah, that's a good thing to know.....and like you said, out of 15,100,000 pixels one isn't bad....but knowing me I'd be looking for it in every single picture. haha Wouldn't be a hard photoshop fix though. Just glad it's gone anyway. Thanks!

Every photographer goes through shock when they find their first dead pixel. Hopefully they learn about the secret dead pixel remapper (hidden in the manual sensor clean feature), as you did. If they were concerned about one pixel, their head would explode if they knew the reality: that every camera has tens of thousands of dead pixels. Most get mapped out at the factory, and new ones get mapped out every time you run the sensor cleaning operation. Of course, even this amount is less than 1% of the image, and the effect on the image is immesurably small.

Canon, like most manufacturers, thinks photographers can't handle the truth, so they cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Every photographer goes through shock when they find their first dead pixel. Hopefully they learn about the secret dead pixel remapper (hidden in the manual sensor clean feature), as you did. If they were concerned about one pixel, their head would explode if they knew the reality: that every camera has tens of thousands of dead pixels. Most get mapped out at the factory, and new ones get mapped out every time you run the sensor cleaning operation. Of course, even this amount is less than 1% of the image, and the effect on the image is immesurably small.

Canon, like most manufacturers, thinks photographers can't handle the truth, so they cover it up.

lol They are probably right....you spend that much money and that many dead pixels....I can't handle the truth!

I did go through shock too....it was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? WHAT IS THAT PURPLE THING????"

But, a quick Google search got me cleared right up. Now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled though.

I had a similar reaction when I figured out that my 1280x720 projector was missing about 14 pixels vertically. Had exactly 1280 horizontally.

It was a projector targeted toward home theater, and with video displays, most crop the top and bottom and sides of images because many movies don't actually use the whole screen, or there's junk in broadcast material, particularly at the top, or whatever.

My video processor at the time had a pattern to identify pixel cropping in the display, and when I realized what it was doing, I was PISSED. I called them up, and they said it was normal. I said, "So, you're telling me that this 720p projector doesn't actually have 720 vertical pixels?" The answer was something like, "Well, they're there, it just can't show all of them to you." GAH!

I found two, yes 2, bad pixels on my brand new 5dmkii. I wish i'd seen this post before i took my camera back. Luckily for me though i bought it from Bestbuy and their return policy is great. No bad pixels in the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by RMP Studio

I found two, yes 2, bad pixels on my brand new 5dmkii. I wish i'd seen this post before i took my camera back. Luckily for me though i bought it from Bestbuy and their return policy is great. No bad pixels in the new one.

Yeah, Best Buy is great. But, now you know if you ever find a hot pixel, what to try!